What's new

Just Got JBL S120PII , first impressions. (1 Viewer)

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, this thing is heavy. It weighs 56 pounds. Its a 12" Cast Aluminum 400 watt jbl powered subwoofer. So far it sounds great. I played through the pod racing scene in star wars episode 1 and the bass was incredible. I could feel it in my bones. I have a JBL pb12 stacked on top of it for extra punch. I will be posting pics of it soon on my website in my sig.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to the S120P II today and was very impressed with it. It seemed to be more in line with what the offered before the PB series. More accurate, imho, than what the PB offers but at nearly twice the price it should be. I have never been a big fan of floor firing subs so that may influence my opinion. Do I think it is the best sub for $6-700? Probably not, but I would definitely consider it if my space and budget (not to mention fiance)would allow.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
what is the street price of the S120P II ? so far around 470 is the best I have seen.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
$400, some resellers keep offering it on EBAY.

For $150 more you can get a powered SVS or maybe a HSU. I wonder if the new studio twelve compares to the bandwagon brands.

AlbertH

Stunt Coordinator
After a little more tweaking I calibrated both subs to 85 db to match my other speakers and together they ran at 91 db (expected) Funny thing is the volume setting on the s120pii is about 2 times that of my pb12 (pb12 at 9 o'clock and s120p at 12 o'clock) to achieve the same calibrated rating of 85db. Well, watching the fast and the furious race scene at -5db reference level i could say that the bass was great. The problem with my room is that i have 2 doorway-sized openings and the room is 13x17 so that doesnt help much in achieving tighter bass. I need to install some doors there or come up with something else to fill in those openings. Once i have 4 solid walls the bass should increase significantly.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have that same problem. Entry to the kitchen and a entry to the main entry of our house plus a few 4/6 foot openings next to the entry to the main entry and that is where my sub is corner loaded:angry: . Kind of sounds like a tongue twister.:D

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
now that you calibrated both subs to the same level did you try to do any comparison between the two and if so what were the results. I own the pb12 so I am very interested to hear what the s120pii has to offer over the pb12.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I've been eyeballing that sub as well. Thanks for your post. I just don't have the room for an SVS and thought this sub may be a good match with the rest of my JBL setup. I'd sure like to hear if Tom V. or any of the other SVS fans have done a comparison. I don't see it offered on the web much and haven't seen it for sale locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks