What's new

Just got invited to the YES show tomorrow!!! (1 Viewer)

Marc H

Second Unit
Whoopee! Front row seats and free!
I was bummed because I couldn't get the cash together for tickets. My boss was going with his wife but his wife just had to leave out of town so he asked me to go.
:)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Marc, you lucky dog!
The closest I'll probably ever get to a Yes concert is my new Yes in Amsterdam dvd. :frowning: Anyway enjoy yourself and give us a review of the show! :D

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Marc,

I greatly enjoyed a show by Yes (without Rick Wakeman) in first-row balcony seats at the very same Massey Hall a couple of years ago, so I'm well aware of the excitement you must have felt going in there last night. Hope you enjoyed it, mate! Say, what can you tell us of the play-list? Cheers.

DS.

Edit: Whoops, a closer look indicates you're likely seeing the band in Ottawa on Sunday night, correct? Let us know how the show is, Marc, and have a great time!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Your in for a treat Marc.
I saw Yes last week from the 8th row in NJ and the band really enjoys the audience. You'll get a kick out of Chris Squire who really plays to the front of the audience.
Usually Chris's wife sits right up there in front. She's a strawberry blonde in her 40's.
The classic line-up of Yes sounds great these days.
They did 2 selections from their latest Magnification but mostly the concert was a golden oldies affair. Alot of stuff from Fragile and Close To The Edge.
Enjoy!:)

Marc H

Second Unit
Well it turned out the seat wasn't first row like I said but it was a box suite. I'm not complaining, just grateful to be able to attend it.
Not many people there which I was surprised at but the weather was awful, snow and freezing rain. Don't think there was anyone there under thirty five years of age.
The set up was half of the Corel Centre which did make for an more intimate presentation than the whole arena.
Sound was awful for the first set unfortunately. Sounded like a distorted mess. Poor old Jon, knocked over his guitar after the first song putting it out of tune, then all stopped while he made a botch of getting it tuned again. He cussed in frustration and a roadie had to come out to tune it. Must have been very embarrassing for him and set the tone for the rest of the set.
The song line up was similar to your show, John, three songs off Magnification, the rest from Close to the Edge and Fragile plus one song I could not identify (nor could the people I was sitting with). The only hint of Yes tunes from between the 70's and Magnification was a couple of brief melodies in Chris Squires bass solo (but that was fine with me). Rick Wakeman was as majestic sounding as was to be expected. He had a real Mini-Moog from the 70's! No real Hammond B3 and Lesley though.
Huge improvement in sonics for the second set and in the band's enthusiasm but it was still tough to hear Jon's vocals.
The solos were great. Steve Howe really looks like a old geezer now but still can impress. He has that way of looking up at the audience while playing with that 'what you looking at' look, if you know what I mean. Chris Squire was all over the stage for his solo. It was he who inspired me to take up bass playing way back when.
Time flew by and the show was over in no time it seemed. They ended with one encore only; Roundabout of course, but the crowd was begging for more but they turned up the houselights to send us all home. That was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe they were tight for time catching an outbound flight, especially with the weather so dicey.
I wouldn't say it's the best Yes show I have ever seen but it was still grand and am so glad I was there. I hope they come back to Ottawa again the next time 'round.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks