Just got HD-Ready TV, Looking for HD Reciever, got Dish Network...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert Floto, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I just picked up a 16x9 HD-Ready television a couple of days ago, and I currently have the Dish Network with the PVR built into the receiver.

I'd like to go to an HD source and I tried calling Dish Network to see what HD Receivers they had, but I don't have all the time in the world to hang out on hold...

I still want my PVR, but I also want an HD source. Does anyone know if any of Dish's receivers will give me what I want?

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Robert,

Nobody makes a combo Dish receiver/pvr yet. Both Dish and Directv plan to market one by next spring.

Dish will also start marketing a new "superdish" system using a single oval dish which they have claimed will have the capacity for up to 50 HD channels.

You can find a ton of HD info, both ota and satellite, over at AVS Forum.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dish's model 921 HD PVR is supposed to be on the market in limited supply sometime in November. If it's like other Dish PVR's the limited supply is really just a beta test to get the rest of the bugs out of the software. It will have one ATSC tuner and dual HD sat tuners. The HD DirecTivo out next spring will have dual ATSC tuners and dual sat HD tuners with the ability to record two HD streams. The Dish receiver will still be timer based in recording like all of their PVRs. The HD DirecTivo will be name based recording with all of the Tivo features included.

If you want HD right now, there are some deals on the discontinued model 6000 HD receiver. The details are at AVS.

-Robert

4. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Thanks guys! I I've become very dependent on my Dish PVR...so I think I'll (try to) wait a while and see what they come up with.

5. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

So the model 6000 is being discontinued? What is the model that is taking its place.

I too just got an HDTV and am looking for a reasonable way to get it through Dish.

Unfortunately the prices of these things is ridiculous to me. I wish they could just rent them out much like Comcast does with their HD customers.

If I can't find a good deal on one of these things, I'm going to have to switch back.....oh the horror!!

6. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Chris Tedesco

I did look at the specs of the 811 and it looks to be exactly what I need!

Dont' really care if it has DVR or not, I would never use it. Just give me High Definition. I'm going to call Dish tonight regarding the leasing program.

I'll tell you what, I'll be a pissed of son of a gun if they are only offering this to new clients.

I'll let you know what they say.

9. Chris Tedesco

Not looking good for the existing customers. It does look like the lease deal is only good for "new" customers.

Looks like I'll be hoppin to Comcast....oh the horror.
    [​IMG]