What's new

Just got Comcast HD box - can I split the signal before it goes into the box? (1 Viewer)

Mike S.

Auditioning
I just got Comcast HD yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should keep my Tivo service also.

I got the dual tuner PVR which also records HD. Until I decide whether to cancel Tivo, I'd like to split the coaxial out of the wall and put one directly into the Tivo. Then, it could be used to record all the kids stuff that fills it up anyway. I know I won't get any pay channels, but most of the stuff we record is from basic anyway. It will use the Tivo tuner, so it won't conflict with tuning the cable box.

The other coaxial would go directly into the Cable HD box. Then I'll use the PVR to tape my stuff, including HD stuff.

Will the split seriously degrade my HD signal?

Thanks for your help.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yes, you can split the signal. That's how I have my DVDR hooked to my system. It doesn't degrade the signal at all.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My cable installer said if I wanted to split the line, not to use anything under a 900 MHz splitter to allow enough bandwidth for the HD signal.

I believe this, because at my old house, I had some lower bandwidth splits and I noticed some pixellating sometimes on my HD (mostly in scenes with a lot of detail and motion). Now, I don't notice that as much.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I actually asked the cable guy for a splitter and he gave me the best one they had. Works like a charm.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks