just got avia....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Henning, Dec 24, 2001.

1. William Henning

William Henning Auditioning

Just finished calibrating my 32in GE TV and am wondering about the new "white level" and "sharpness" settings. They are now only about 3 or 4 notches up from the lowest settings. I have no problem with that at all but am wondering if that sounds right. The default factory had the white level around 3/4 the way up and I know it was to high and it's done to show the set off. I think the sharpness was up alittle high also. It did have a crisp look to it but now it's on the smoother side and has a softer look. Well, it's a whole different look and I'm happy with it but just want to know if the new settings sound about right. I know it will differ a bit with each TV but does it sound like I'm in the ball park. I want to be sure I did it right. Thanks, William

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Hi William.. I recently calibrated (couple weeks ago) my own 36" Panasonic TV using the AVIA and I noticed the same thing. All levels compared to factory were low... sharpness was especially lower.

But like the video says... it seems very soft at first.. but as you get used to viewing the softer image, you notice ALOT more details. My picture looks 10 times better now! I'm actually getting ready to get an HDTV (new 40" WEGA sony flat screen) and move this one up stairs.... I think I'll let the ISF professionals calibrate my good one though ;>

Good luck with the TV!

Jim

3. William Henning

Thanks Jim. Glad to hear you experienced the same thing. As for "blooming" when setting the white level, I want to make sure the "black" lines in the boxes and white bar "DON'T" disappear, right? If they do disappear and turn white then I've gone to far. That's the way I understand it but want to make sure. William

4. William Henning

Thanks Jim. I posted a reply but it didn't show up. Maybe this one will. William

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Yes, if thin black lines on a white background seem to fade as you increase the white level, you are seeing blooming and should back off.
    If the thin line in the white level needle test bends even as you adjust the contrast near the lower range, your TV inherently does not have good regulation of it power supply and you will just have to choose a compromise setting for white level.
    If you don't see line bending or blooming while adjusting the contrast within the range below 1/2 for direct view or below 1/3 for CRT RPTV/FPTV, don't bother to go higher to see where these things happen.
    Use the frequency sweep (upright lines getting closer and closer together at the right) to adjust sharpness for the most even appearance.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm