What's new

Just got an XM Roady (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'd been thinking about taking the plunge and getting XM for a while now. Originally, I was going to get the XM Commander, but ultimately the expense and the fact that it was only for the car made me rule it out. I then began looking at the Roady, as it is movable between cars and home. I then saw that starting a few days ago, you can get a free Home Kit for the Roady by mail. That in conjuction with a $20 rebate at Circuit City was enough for me. I went and picked it up today. I haven't done a permanent install yet because I'm waiting for the Aux input adapter to arrive for my JVC headunit, but I activated it and have it in my room for right now(using a universal power plug to power it).The antenna gets full signal even just sitting on my window cill, and much to my suprise, I got the same signal strentgh with the antenna at the edge of my dash as I did with it on the roof of the car. So, for comsmetic and theft deterrant reasons, I'll be mounting it on my dash. I'm really digging XM so far. The 80's channel is great, Deep Cuts is fantastic, as is Fred and a few others. I even like the Dance channels and I'm not usually into dance music. So even though I've got an MP3 CD player in my car, XM will soon be joining it. I'm really pumped about the free home kit. I had a much easier time justifying getting XM knowing that I can use it at home and in the car. Anyhow, I know some folks have become a bit discontent with XM due to commericials, but after sampling both Sirius and XM, I think XM has the better hardware(atleast for add on tuners) and for me, XM has a better selection of the music I'm into. Anyhow, just wanted to post my initial thoughts. I can't wait until i get this thing in the car and when I get the home kit in a few weeks so I can undo my jury rigged job ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Welcome aboard!

You should be quite happy with XM Radio. I still
have it, as well as SIRIUS. Both have their strong
and weak points. Look for my report card to be posted
here within the week.

MatS

Screenwriter
good stuff Dave
I just made sure to pick up a Roady myself today (the last day of the CC rebate) and will also be taking advantage of the free home kit offer even though I have most of what they are giving away via other hardware.

I will be waiting for the wireless FM mod for the Roady that will be coming out in December making it easy to move it from car to car to home.

Now to decide what to do with my SkyFi, homekit, and boombox.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to get my parents the Roady for Christmas and I was just wondering how hard it is to install the antenna? Can it be placed on the dash or will I have to have somebody run a wire through their car? Also, after owning them for a while, what are your impressions of the Roady?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Jed,
Most of the XM folks say that putting the antenna on the dash will kill your signal but I've read countless reports of people with the antenna on the dash and it working just fine. Heck, when I'm at home, I just throw the included micro antenna on my dresser(which is window adjacent) and I get full signal even with the window and blinds closed. I may just be in a strong area but so far the only place I've had reception problems is an enclosed parking garage.
After having it for a while, I'm happy with the Roady. XM is great, though I do wish the audio quality was better(at times it sounds like mid grade internet radio in terms of sound quality). About the only complaints I have about the Roady are
2 Line display means that you can't see the station name, artist name and song name all at the same time (you can see any of the two). I keep mine set to artist/title. The good news is that when you press a preset it briefly displays the station name before switching to artist/title. Category browsing also displays the station name so finding the right channel doesn't require displaying the station title. The little wheel is good though it's a bit small. Still even in the car I have no trouble reaching it or using tune select.
About the only complaint I have is that the buttoms are smallish and all shaped the same so unless you memorize the layout you might press the menu button instead of display by mistake.
Overall though it's a great deal, especially with the free home kit. I got the $20 rebate I got also sweetened the deal for me.
Hope that was helpful.

MatS

Screenwriter
I would think the antenna on the dash should be just fine.
I have used my SkyFi boombox in my car just sitting in the passengers seat of the car and have not had reception problems. Supposedly the Roady's antenna is even better.

All depends on where you are I guess.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys. I will report my thoughts of it after Christmas I guess.

Bill-DC

Auditioning
I'm looking to buy a roady but don't have a cassette deck in my car, just a AM/FM radio and CD player. Looks like they are coming out with an audio adapter in the future.

Can this be installed by oneself or should I have someone at the store do it?

Thanks.

Bill

MatS

Screenwriter
Bill,
You can pick up the Delphi wireless FM mod soon if not now. They have just started showing up at Tweeter stores and should be at mass retail very soon I would expect. It takes no install just a plug into the cig lighter in your car and the other end into the Roady. The wireless mod both powers the unit and cuts off your FM antenna signal providing the XM signal to your car stereo over a choice of 8 frequencies. I've been using it now for the last 2 days and it works great.
See thread linked below.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=173706

If you want an install without a cassette player you can also have installed or install a wired FM modulator. This costs a bit more and requires more work

Users who are viewing this thread