Just got an LD player - need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I just got an LD player, Pioneer CLD-3090, which I bought off of ebay. I'm having fun messing around with it, not to mention playing the Star Wars Definitive Trilogy on it...

I have some questions, though. The remote control wasn't included, so I can't switch between the digital and analog tracks, and there are no controls in the front panel to do so. I programmed by Sony Reciever remote to control the LD player, but it's limited in what it can do. I know my parents have a Pioneer LaserKaraoke remote that they don't use - would that work? Or are there 'generic' remotes that would accomplish this?

Also, with regards to the optical out on the LD player - will it output a digital signal for all soundtracks, or only dts?

Some observations - now I see why people say the Dolby Pro Logic tracks are much better on LD than DVD - it really does seem that way (even on my Sony HTB w/ SAWM40 sub). The picture quality seems only slightly better than VHS, but it could be because of the source material (SW Trilogy), or the LD player itself.

Any help would be great!

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

An expensive way of doing it (although well worth it IMHO), would be to get a pronto or marantz rc5000 and download the codes from remotecentral.com into it.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

if your parents remote doesn't work pick up a One for all cinema 6 or 7 remote. The built in database should have what you need if not look on starbase.com for the extended codes.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Agree with Andrew Pratt. A One For All Cinema 7 should have the functionality you need as an advanced code for $30. And the spotty commentary on the Definitive set is interesting, especially the poart about the asteroid potato in TESB and the tie fighter sneaker in ROTJ.

Also, the LaserKaraoke remote will work as well. Bring your universal over and "learn" the D/A button and you're good to go.

You should be using composite video, if you're using S-Video you'll get a substandard picture.

5. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all your replies!

Philip and Andrew, where can I get the "One for All Cinema"?

Philip, I can't tell the difference between composite and S-Video - S-Video seems just a wee bit sharper. And why is composite better??

6. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

Because the comb filter on your tv is better than the one in the LD player. If you use Svideo then you will be using the comb filter in the player which is hardly ever better than the tv unless you have an extremely high end ld player.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Most wallmats and costco's carry the one for all remotes. If you can't find them there the Radio shack all in one is a clone of these remotes but offers back lighting

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

To answer your remaining question: