Just Got an Archos MP3 Player/Recorder...Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Rubenstein, Dec 25, 2001.

1. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I just got their 6 gig Player/Recorder and I've got to say it's one of the coolest gadgets I've bought in a long time (since TiVo in 1999)!

The unit is pretty small (a little bigger than my minidisc player (but twice the width).

It hooks up through a USB post and the PC recognizes it as another drive. I copied 400 songs to the player using Explorer in very little time.

The display is great and it's very east to navigate/

The one complaint I have is that the headphones could be the worst I've ever used. I replaced them with my Koss porta-pros and I think the sound is great (especially for travelling and my car).

I'm going to upgrade the drive to 20 gig this weekend which will give me storage for over 5,000 songs!

Has anyone else had any experience with one of these?

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

David,

Can you copy any types of files on it? In other words could it serve as a "walking hard drive" to transfer files from one PC to another?

Also, what type and how many batteries does it need?

You say the sound is great but is it loud?

3. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

JB:

Yes, you can copy any files on your hard drive to the unit (it actually could be used to back up files).

It takes 4 AA size rechargable batteries. The system came with 8 (4 already installed and 4 spare).

When I first listened to the player using the headphones that were provided, I was ready to return the unit the sound was so low and muddled.

Once I replaced the headphones with my Koss set, the sound was much improved. It goes as loud as I want it (and could go louder).