Just got a Toshiba 50H81 what now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenCarrara, Jan 16, 2002.

1. DarrenCarrara

DarrenCarrara Auditioning

So I just got my new Toshiba 50H81 not more than an hour ago. But instead of watching it, im on my PC reading up a little more. After reading a bunch of posts Im a little nervous...what should I make sure to do before I start everyday use of it? For example I know I need to turn down the contrast and brightness....but how much?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Setting the Picture Mode to 'Movie' will get you most of the way there in an instant. If you want to be alter cautious, drop the contrast down to 40. Afterwards, you can tweak it more with the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD which will teach you how to properly set Brightness, Color, Tint and Sharpness.

After awhile, consider getting the set professionally calibrated to squeeze all the performance out it that you can.

3. DarrenCarrara

DarrenCarrara Auditioning

So I should pick up a copy of Avia or VE and just calibrate it myself for now? If I do this, do I still need to worry about burn in and other problems? Also how long should the TV break in before I get it professionally calibrated?

Thanks,

Darren

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Yes, pick up VE. In the mean time, turn the brightness and contrast below 50%. It is a good idea to leave the set on for the first 100 hours to break in. Make sure you dont have any letterboxing / window boxing bars present. Also make sure you dont have any static logos present.

Consider calibration after 100 hours.

Regards

gregg

5. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I'd get AVIA over VE, having used them both. It was much easier to set the picture with AVIA.