1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Just got a PS2 for my daughter...Help!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jose G, Feb 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Just got this PS2 for my daughter and I'm addicted to this thing. It's great! It's hooked up to my HT system and I love it. I've already taken over her gameboy advance SP. Thank God for her early bedtime. Here's where I need help: Do I need a separate memory card for each game? I have the first Prince of Persia and it's great, but if my daughter puts in a crash game or something, it asks if I want to format the memory card to save her game. I know this will erase my old game. So what's the deal here? I new card for each game? Another question: Are there places to get these games for less- they are pricey! One more: What are the hot games for kids- she's nine and I'm 38 (a bit of an older kid). Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Well, after the card is formatted it can be used for all games, but should always be formatted before doing anything. After that, its free reign until you run out of space.

As for cheap games, just search around. Buying games used at places like Gamestop, Blockbuster, and EB will save you some money. Some of those places even have big sales on used games once in a while, and regular discount cards.

For good games, it depends on your tastes. A game may be geared towards your age group, but it may not be your tastes though. Same with your daughter. If you liked Prince of Persia give the second one a try. It is darker and more violent(mainly tacked on just to get sales) but is still quite a solid game.

For a short list, let me give you a list of the best stuff on the ps2.

Metal Gear Solid 3(amazing story, graphics, gameplay...especially story!)
    Katamari Damacy(strangest game you can get for $20, and one of the best)
    Ratchet and Clank series
    Sly Cooper Series
    Mercenaries
    DDR Max(great game for both you and your daughter to play together too)
    Taiko Drum Master(another great rhythm game)

That is just current stuff, none of the back catalog. Just so many good games on the system. If you want further help, invest in a gamecube and xbox as well. No sense in limiting your gameplay options eh?

And for some great GBA stuff, Legend Of Zelda Minish Cap. That is one of the greatest games put out on that system in the last year, or any system any year.

And this should be put in software I believe[​IMG]

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Prince of Persia is great.

What kind of games do you enjoy? We can make recommendations if you give us a type of game.

Newly released games are always expensive. Wait a year or so after release, and most of them fall to the $20 price range. THat's when I buy most of mine. I don't have to be the first. Besides, by waiting, you get to take advantage of walkthroughs that other people have figured out for those times when you get stuck.

Some of my favorites are:

Jeopardy (fun for 2-3 players)

Baldur's Gate

Half Life

Red Faction

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I can't remember any game ever offering to re-format a memory card. One card should handle dozens of games unless you purchase a lot of RPG or Sports games.

Regarding games, often there are sales on the greatest hits titles, like 2 for $30 at places like Target, Best Buy or Circuit City. Best Buy also has a gamer's gift card that includes a $5 off coupon that will bring the price of those titles to $15. Games like the first Jak & Daxter, the first Sly Cooper, and the first 2 Ratchet & Clanks are all greatest hits budget titles. Other platform favorites of mine include Klonoa 2 and Ape Escape 2.

As Sean mentioned, you should pick up Dance Dance Revolution. Go to Ebay, and search for "DDR PS2 Dance Pads", and look for the pads that say something like "ultra dense pad", they will have some cryptic version number (like v2.5 or v6.0), perhaps a brand name like Ignition. I picked up a pair of pads on Ebay for $25 + $25 shipping, so $50 delivered, you'll get two high quality heavy durable pads that sell retail for $80 to $100 EACH. I had the cheap flimsy vinyl pads that came with the game, and my daughters hardly play the game, but when I upgraded to the new pads, they play every day for hours.

Other great non-violent games to consider: Karaoke Revolution, Eyetoy Play, Burnout 3, Ico, Magic Pengel, Space Channel 5, Harvest Moon, Sims Bustin Out, and Midway Arcade Treasures.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

The Greatest Hits line is certainly a good place to start for cheap games, as is anywhere that sells used games. I've done really well with Blockbuster (especially when they have a buy one get one 1/2 price sale on) and EB.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks a lot folks! You have been great. I'll look into the dance pad stuff- sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the ebay tips.

As far as the saving is concerned- my issue is that everytime I save the Prince of Persia game it somehow deletes her saved Crash game and visa versa. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I just hope it's not a bug in the new PS2 slim. I had a PS1 and never had this problem.

A great story as part of the game is awesome and what I like, but I guess I'll start a new thread about that later in software.

Thanks again, José

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Wait a minute... is the Crash Bandicoot game a PS1 game? Because you have to have a separate PS1 memory card for those games.

I agree with Chris: the Greatest Hits line (or insert Platinum or Player's Choice here) is a good way to stock up on great games for not a lot of green.

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Hmm. Good question! I'm almost sure it's a PS2 game. I'll check when I get home. That would explain my problem, but I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed if it was a PS1 game.

Thanks!

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

No-it's a PS2 game; I just checked. I have no idea what's up with saving on this card. I'm going to buy a new card and see what happens. Thanks for everyones help.

José

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Just out of curiosity, is this a Sony card, or some third party one? I have no idea what the case is with ps2 cards, but I know that third party ps1 cards were pretty much universally worthless. Do they even make third party ps2 cards now?

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

There are third party cards. Even ones liscenced by Sony as well. Just stick with the Sony or Nyko cards. Avoid all others unless your console and saves have a death wish.

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The card is working now. Why? I have no idea. It's a Sony card. I hope there isn't a glitch with my PS2. It seems to be fine now in anycase. Hold on, I just put in a new game and it says that there isn't a card in slot one. THERE IS! I pulled it out and re-inserted it and it read it. Does this happen from time to time? Could this just be the card or could it be the PS2?

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Hmm.. I have a Crash Bandicoot game and have never had a problem with it overwriting any other games. Odd.

In fact, I've only got one card and I just leave it plugged in all the time. I think I only took it out once to take it over to my brother's house so my kid could play his "Rocket Power" game over there.

I'd say try a different card.. and try a different slot to see if you can narrow down the problem to the card or the slot.

Also.. is your card an 8MB PS2 card? If it's a Sony, it'll say "Playstation2" right on it. The PSOne cards will work in a PS2 but should only work for PSOne games (they probably only say "Playstation" on 'em).

14. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

That's a good idea, Dave. I'll try that. Right now it's working again, although I'm concerned that there's a glitch somewhere- hopefully in the card and that's all. The card is a Sony PS2 card. Thanks for your help. Crash TwinSanity is keeping my daughter and I busy right now and the Prince of Persia (early version) is keeping me up late at night. I can't stand how addictive these games are. I'm already looking to buy more games and haven't gone through the ones we have, which include the afore mentioned plus Tak2, Shreck2, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. This weekend I think I'm going to look for some of the other games that Sean, Elinor, and Perry recommended.

15. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

The Harry Potter one is fun too, but my roommate (35 yrs old) is stuck on one of the levels [​IMG]

16. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I believe that Best Buy and Circuit City are both having a 2 for $30 greatest hits sale starting Sunday.

17. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up! I'm there! [​IMG]