What's new

Just got a PS2 broadband adapter beta tester email - legit? (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hi all,
I just got this email and I don't know for sure if it's legit. Anyone else get it? I did a whois search on psubetatester.com and I'm not convinced it's Sony related, but if you actually go to psubetatester.com it looks like it's routed via scea.com (Sony).
Mike
follow up
The link to psubetatester.com is actually a link to:
http://scea.mx0.net/r?v7U211TwCLoQrm...N%2BbfxdN9T03N
So it looks fake. :frowning:
-
Dear MIKE,
How would you like to help test the future of online gaming for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system?
Now you can ... as an official Beta Tester.
Here's the deal. We're looking for qualified members of the PlayStation® Underground™ to help test our new Network Adaptor (Ethernet/Modem) (for PlayStation 2). This exclusive opportunity will enable a few chosen gamers to experience online gaming for the PlayStation 2 before it's made available to the masses.
If chosen as a Beta Tester, all you'll have to do is test the Network Adaptor and share your online gaming experiences with us.
To pursue this opportunity, simply follow these instructions:
Click on the link at the end of this e-mail.
You will be asked to answer approximately 15 questions.
Provide your PSU number when prompted. Your PSU number is: xxxxxx
Write down the serial number of your PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system (located on the underside of your system, beginning with a "PT") and enter it in the appropriate field.
Hit "Submit." We will notify you shortly if you're selected as one of the chosen few to take part in this exciting opportunity.
To sign up to be an official online gaming Beta Tester, please visit Link Removed by February 13, 2002.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'd say it's legit. Sony have been undertaking PS2 broadband beta testing with select PS2 owners here in the UK for a short while now, so they're definately testing.

Dan (UK)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Dan,

It's the relationship with mx0.net and psubetatester.com that really makes it look phony. If it weren't for the fact that I get a sh*tload of spam every day in that particular account of mine, I probably wouldn't be suspicious, and I've never gotten email from psu before so I have nothing to compare it against.

Mike

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved one as well Mike. It looked good to me, so I signed up. Guess I'll find out if it was legit or not if I start getting all kinds of spam.

Corey

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
It's legit. I saw a news item about this at IGN. Let me see if I can find the link.
Here we go: Link Removed
I sent in a card when I got my PS2 that I think signs me up for a free demo disc, but I dont know if this is PS Underground or not. Dammit, I wanna test this! :)
Brian

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I got it too. It's legit...it came from the Playstation Underground. If you go into it it does say that you must be willing to pay for the broadband provider though.

Randy

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
It's not FAIR!!! Oh well I'll just be happy with my DSL line that's being installed tomorrow, and Day of Defeat, which I hear is really cool.

I'd imagine this email is just inviting you to sign up? I wonder what games you get... demos of real games, or just demos of nothing in particular meant for testing only.

Brian

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
I as well, recieved an email from Playstation Underground. I think it just has to do with the post card that came with the system being sent out. The choosing of testers is probably very random since I only got my system about 5 months ago, and a lot of people here haven't seemed to recieve one.

I think the email is legit, why would we all get the same exact email? I must say that it'd be damn cool to recieve "free" stuff from Sony and test it out for them.

Chris

Andre F

Screenwriter
Hey....I've already got a broadband connection and a network setup in my house. I could get this up and running in a couple of hours. Oh well.

-Andre F

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Randy,

No, it asks IF you'd be willing to pay extra. It's a questionnaire. I said no. I'm paying enough for broadband as it is.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks