What's new

Just got a Panasonic PT-51HX41 (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I just received one of the new Panasonic PT-51HX41's on the demo floor. I haven't spent more than a couple of minutes with it yet, but a cursory check with The Fifth Element says the line doubler does indeed incorporate 3:2 pulldown detection and reversal (seems to do a very nice job actually). Bodes well for the 47" widescreen.
It does NOT support anamorphic DVDs like one of the techies swore that it did at the dealer show a month or so ago. Only in 1080i just like the Toshiba's.
I'll try to write up a mini review in a couple of days (after I calibrate it). If there are any questions in the meantime, let 'er rip!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Please keep us informed! I am planning on buying the 47" so I am very interested in what your set can/can't do.
What are the adjustable menu items?
Is there a service menu that you can get into?
What is adjustable there?
I'm sorry for asking so many questions. The 47 will be my first RPTV (and first non-Sony). My Sony 32" has a great service menu that I've adjusted and tweaked with AVIA. Just hoping that the Panny TV has something similar.
Thanks in advance! And enjoy that brand spankin' new set!
BTW If you mean that you want the vertical squeeze trick for anamorphic DVDs, I think it's only available with a 480p signal so you'll have to get a progressive DVD player to access this feature. that's one of the reasons why I decided to go with the 47" rather than the 51" 4:3.

J

John Morris

Johnny: any more to report about the PT-51hx41? A few of us just bought this RPTV for less than $1K. Although it may be a misprint and we may never see this set in our house, I am still interested in how this set performs.
Thanks!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
------------------
DTCP, DFAST, 5C, DVI, and HDCP smell like DIVX!!!

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It really, really (really) needs to have SVM disabled! Other than that, I'm fairly optimistic about this set.
I'm going to attempt a full calibration on it this week (I'm a Panasonic virgin
blush.gif
) so I'll report back in a few days.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's been a few days... I'd like to see a report now! :)
If this thing can do 16:9 on 480i, I'd be VERY happy. If it can do it on 480p, well, I guess I'll have to pick up a prog player. If it only does it on 1080i, well it's off my list... I haven't found any info on it regarding this. Anyone know for sure? It looks like a VERY good set for the price ($2000 shipped online).
EDIT: I looked at Johnny's "Next Big Thing" website, and it says there that it does 16:9 only on 1080I... bummer. WHY ARE THEY DOING THAT??
furious.gif

/Mike

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
MickeS, yup - 1080i only. Why? I don't have the foggiest idea!
Good
* Gray scale tracks extremely well
* Good focus out-of-the-box
* Good beam spot size
* Very good scan-doubler
* Very extensive (and somewhat complicated) service convergence system
* Easy to use Service mode
Bad
* Horribly agressive SVM leading to a coarse, grainy looking picture
* Excessive red-push in the colour decoder
* The ability to fix the two problems above has been removed from the service menu!
* Global picture controls
Overall, feature wise, it's in-between Toshiba's 1999 and 2000 model year sets.
Panasonic Canada is examing the issues I've mentioned here and is supposed to report back soon.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks