Just Got a New Panasonic RP-91!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brandon_S, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Hey guys,

I have heard so many great things about the Panasonic RP-91 DVD player. While I was browsing the local Ovations today I came across this model sitting on the shelf. I took a closer look and to my surprise the tag said $199.95! Needless to say I snatched up a brand new Panasonic and ran away giggling.

I am replacing a Sony 530D which has served me well ever since 1999. It was my first DVD player and I am sad to see it go, but I can't wait to try out all the new bells and whistles on the RP91. Are there any tips on how I should set up the sound outputs in the menus? I currently have both DD and DTS set to bitstream.

Also, I am very new to DVD Audio. Any tips there with this unit would be appreciated!

Now back to playing...[​IMG]

2. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Great buy Brandon, check out which firmware you have first and if its not version 250 update it. Press the open/close, stop and pause buttons on the unit and the #7 button on the remote to see what version. The display will show you a bunch of numbers, the last 3 numbers will be the firmware version.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

4. Laurence_C

Laurence
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=rp91+firmware

Brandon, here's link over at AVS forum to tell you all about the firmware versions and how to update your player if it's not already up to date. If you need the file and can't get it, let me know and I can send you the file over MSN Messenger or AIM.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Laurence,

I just checked and have 236. What, if any, is the advantage of moving to 250 ? Also, how big a file is 250 ? Thanks.

AIM: chase11267

6. Laurence_C

Laurence
    Chip, did you take a look at the link in my last posting? It answers your question better than I could? It has been awhile since I updated to ver 250 but I had version 188, which was 3 or 4 updates back, and it addressed some progressive scan playback problems. Not sure of the difference from 236 to 250. The file is 22.2 megs, a fast transfer if you have cable/dsl/T1. This file is for a Nero burn.

7. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Incredible price. A good $100 lower than anything on the web. I wonder if Ovations even knew what they had on their shelf? Best of luck, great unit!