Just got a new Marquee!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Rubenstein, Mar 11, 2001.

1. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

Check out the link below! I hooked it up to a wireless power switch so before guests enter the theater area, I can turn on the marquee and they'll be greeted by the blinking sign.
    I think it adds a nice touch as you enter the theater area (with the candy counter)and it only cost $150.
    ------------------
    David Rubenstein
    My Theater: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28664.html

2. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Sweat. Nice theater too.
    Deane

3. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  5. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

David, where did you get the marquee? Is there a Web site for the supplier? That would be perfect for my needs.
    Great theater, by the way!

6. David Rubenstein

I got it online at www.shindigz.com It was actually used at a convention and I got to keep it afterwards. It comes with plenty of letters and it only took about a week to ship. They have lots of other movie themed decorations, although most of them are throwaway and you wouldn't want to put them in your house.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    David Rubenstein

7. Steve U

Steve U Extra

David, that is awesome! Have you thought about doing a complete website for it? Couple questions:
    What is your ceiling composed of, and is it the same exact color as the walls? I'm doing a drop ceiling and may paint the tiles to match.
    Is the candy counter in a separate room, like a lobby?
    Great stuff, thanks for the pics!
    ------------------
    http://www.berwickdesign.com/cinnaplex
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams...
    - W. Wonka

8. David Rubenstein

Steve:
    I finished the theater room as my house was being built. The ceiling is made of sheet rock with a crawl space to feed the wires through an unfinished part of the basement to the projector which is hung (via whisperflow) above one of the couches. A few mnths ago I built a riser (with some advice from people on this forum) which I carpeted black. I now have two couches in the theater and it can comfortably seat 7 (between couches and chairs). The entire room including the ceiling and door is painted the dark red in the picture (which I think adds to the picture quality.
    I know the room probably doesn't have the best acoustics (other than insulation there's not much there to absorb the sound), but my wife and I use the theater a couple times a week and we love it.
    I bought the candy counter at an antique dealer when I moved to Atlanta (he was displaying Beanie Babies in it). I cleaned it up and then filled it with all kinds of stuff. It is directly outside the theater with the marquee hanging above it. We've set the room up outside the theater with the candy counter, a bunch of framed movie posters, a pinball machine, and a basketball shooting game.
    Our son is only 1 year old (this week) but the neighbors already say he's going to be the most popular kid on teh block!
    ------------------
    David Rubenstein

9. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

David:
    I totally love the look of your theater!! It must be a blast to go in there and just crank up the sound... it's certainly looks as though you've done your homework. Is the room itself... a room? Or is it your basement?
    Scott.
    ------------------
    Scott's DVD List

10. Mike G

Mike G Stunt Coordinator

No fair! I want one. Waaaa....
    Surely, whoever fabricated that marquee didn't break the mold. It's a little difficult to tell from the picture how big it is. Based on the size of the electric cord, I'd guess it's somewhere around 10" x 20". Am I in the ballpark?

11. David Rubenstein

Mike: The marquee measures 31" lomg and 18" high. The letters are about 4".
    Scott: The room is a dedicated room on my basement. It is 21' X 14' (there's some more detail on the room above). It is great having the room, and I really like having it in the basement because not only can I make it loud (within reason) and it doesn't significantly bother anyone upstairs (although they do feel the rumbling), but I've also been able to so some fum stuff with the room adjacent to the theater (like the marquee and the candy counter).
    ------------------
    David Rubenstein

12. Mike G

Mike G Stunt Coordinator

Wow... For $150 you stole that marquee. I think the only fair thing for you to do, would be to sell it to me for say $200. [​IMG]
    By the way, I really like your theater drapes as well. I want to do something similar in my theater.

13. David Rubenstein

Just happenned to be at the right place at the right time for the marquee. I got the drapes at Linens and Things and they were very reasonably priced. They don't open and close, but they make the room look great.
    ------------------
    David Rubenstein

14. Mike G

Mike G Stunt Coordinator