Just Got a New HT Theater, Need Help Setting Up!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Wolf, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

I just got my new HT and all the cables and need help setting it up.

My components are:

JVC Progressive Scan DVD Player
    Toshiba 55' HDTV
    HD Cable Box
    Tivo
    Denon 1803 Receiver

Ok, so I know the sub gets connected to the Receiver using subwoofer cables and the 5 speakers get connected to the Receiver using speaker wire

The DVD gets connected to the TV using components, and to the Receiver using Digital Coaxial cable.

The Cable Box gets connected to the TV using components and AV Cable and to the Receiever using Digital Coaxial cable.

MY TV has 2 inputs for components, one is being used my the cable and 1 by the DVD player.

What am I missing? Do I need to adjust my Tivo setup? How doe the TV connect to the reciever?

Please help me! Im anxious to get this up and running!

THANKS GUYS!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well- it depends on what you want to run and how. Right now, your two main components (DVD and cable box) are being routed directly to the component inputs on the TV set.

With your remaining devices (your TIVO and whatever else you might have- like VCR maybe?) you can choose to route the video directly to the TV or through the receiver first for video switching. Since it sounds like you only have one device left- you might be best off just running the output from the TIVO directly to the TV via whatever is the best connection it offers (Svideo?).

Your only possible handicap at that point would be on screen menus. Usually, the average person routes all video sources through their receiver- and then from the receiver on to the TV set. This allows the receiver to do both audio and video switching- and usually lets the user leave the TV set on one input. In your case, this isn't the ideal... So- you might need to also run a line from the MONITOR OUR on the denon to the TV input- just for setting up on sreen menus in the denon (I dunno how good the 1803 is about this- my 3300 has several things that can ONLY be set using on screen menus- impossible to navigate using the display on the front of the unit).

Hope that Makes sense.

-Vince

3. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Im still confused. I do not have a VCR.

Were my other connections as I listed above (besides Tivo) correct?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

5. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Im sitting here with my new cables, speakers, and receiver and i cant figure out how to set this up! I am totally confused?

Anyone wanna help me out? Id be grateful for any help! I want to start using this and I cant even set it up!

The speaker wire that I got from accessories4less is different than any other speaker wire I have used before, beside the black and red threads, there is a white and green thread too! how do i use this?

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well- just ignore the VCR potion from my post- and everything else should be pretty clear:
    1) Right now, your two main components (DVD and cable box) are being routed directly to the component inputs on the TV set. This isn't a question of "correct" vs "incorrect"- rather pref and how your specific equipment will work.
    You have chose to do it this way- which is fine and will work great. You will simply need to change the input setting on the TV in order to change which device you are watching.
    A second OPTION available to you would be to route the component outputs from these devices (DVD and Cable Box) into your AVR-1803. You'll find on the back of the unit, right above the speaker connections, a set of component connections marked IN VIDEO-1, IN VIDEO-2 and OUT MONITOR.
    You could route the 2 signals from the devices to the receiver- (DVD connected to IN VIDEO-1 and cable box to IN VIDEO-2) and connect the receiver to the TV (OUT MONITOR to the component input on the TV).
    This would make it so that you could leave the TV in one component mode, and when you made switches on the receiver between the cable and the DVD- both the AUDIO and the VIDEO would switch for you (basically simplifying your video routing and giving audio and video switching duties to the receiver-- making the system a little easier to control).
    When you want to switch from Cable to DVD- you would simply switch receiver modes and both audio and video would change.
    This type of connection is clearly outlined on page 7 of your DENON manual (on the upper right).
    Again- this is just a secondary option for connection-- the way you have outlined above (connecting the video direct from the device to the TV) would also work fine.
    2) With your remaining device (your TIVO) you can ALSO choose to route the video directly to the TV (like you did for the DVD and CABLE BOX), or you can choose to route the video through the receiver first for video switching.
    Since it sounds like you only have one more device (so the idea of "switching" is moot) - you might be best off just running the output from the TIVO directly to the TV via whatever is the best connection it offers (Svideo?).
    Again- I'm not too familiar with the TIVo- I assumed it had its own internal tuning device (like a VCR) so it would connect direct to the cable system and record that way. If not- well - again I yield to someone who has more experience with the use of such a unit.
    But, the main point is that in order to watch/hear the TIVO- the audio and video outputs have to be routed to your TV and Receiver one way or another.
    Since it seems that you get easily confused by these things, I would say that your most basic configuration would be to route all audio outputs from your devices to the receiver, route all video outputs from your devices to the TV and switch audio on the receiver and video via the TV.
    I was just hoping to outline some alternate methods so you understood your options...
    -Vince

7. John Henry

John Henry Agent

Does routing your video through a reciever and then to the TV degrade the picture at all compared to routing directly to the TV?

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Maybe Yes- Maybe No.

There are several issues that come into play here:
    1) Bandwidth of the switching in the receiver. While most modet receivers offer component switching say that they are fine for HD signals- some more technically minded have pointed out that the bandwidth is not always idea for this type of signal. I assume newer products are improving on this specifically to allow HD switching- but it would likely vary from product to product.

2) Adding an extra connection step in the chain would obviously have some effect- but the issue becomes a question of what the effect is. I have tried all sorts of signal tests in the svideo realm using my receiver- and have not managed to find one visable difference using freq and resolution test- color decoding- anything. But, this would obvioulsy also vary depending on the products in question.

3) Adding extra cabling would have some sort of effect. Really this comes down to "tempting fate" arguement- that adding an extra cable run, adding extra cable distance invites a potential for problems. Again- this issue is open to debate and IMHO is a non-issue.

So, I would say with a combination of quality cabling and a quality receiver- and losses would be entire negligable- and would have zero effect on the picture which you see. I find the convience of integrated video and audio switching to be enough to have me overlook the nagging feeling that I might be missing something. However- I'm sure there are several here who would disagree- so like always, try it and see what you think.

-V

9. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Ok Vince,

Here is what I got so far...

All 5 speakers plus the Subwoofer is set up.

The cable box is hooked up to the 1st component input on the TV. Then an audio cable is hooked up from the cable box to the TV.

The DVD/CD player (i use 1 for both) is hooked up to the to the 2nd component input on the TV. Then an audio cable is hooked up from the DVD to the RECIEVER. Along with a Digital Coaxial from the DVD to the RECIEVER, but I do not see why that is needed.

I also have an audio cable from the TV input on the back of the RECIEVER to the back of the TV.

I think everything works, the only thing I question is that despite me turning off the TV speakers, the volume still needs to be kept at an acceptable level in order to get sound from the 5 speakers when watching TV. Im confused about that, is it because of the Tivo?

Please advise! and THANKS!

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm sorry Adam but I don't understand what this means either. In order to get 5 channels of audio on TV you have to have a specific volume setting (an acceptible one? Acceptible in what terms?) I'm not at all sure how the TIVO is involved.

Could you maybe explain exactly what you mean by "acceptible" level, what happens when you violate this "acceptible" level- and exactly what you're trying to do that isn't happening.

Are you saying the volume on the TV has to be at a specific level? If so, you are likely coming out of a "variable" output on the TV into the receiver, in which case the level being sent to the receiver is controlled by the volume setting on the TV.

I would personally bypass sending any audio to the TV- and run it all directly from the devices to the receiver.

-Vince

11. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

Vince,

I so appreciate your help nd Im sorry I am giving a poor job of describing the situation, but Im still a bit confused.

The only reason I have audio running from the cable box to the TV is becuase in order to watch HD, I have to switch video inputs on the TV when I wanna watch HD.

Otherwise I am not sure what I have hooked up wrong. MY TV volume is set at like 40 and from there I can adjust the volume for the TV through the reciever.

Are you saying I should have NO audio inputs running into the TV?

Sorry for not comprehending!

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I wouldn't say "should" because you could do it either way and it will work- but what I'm saying is the way you have chosen might not be the BEST way for your needs: if you plan to use your receiver for all of the audio portion of your setup, you would have no need to ever send audio to the TV.

What I have (sort of) understood from your posts is that you are passing audio from the cable box into your TV, and then taking a variable output from the TV back to the receiver. You turn off the TV speakers and use the receiver for all the audio.

So that begs the question- why run the audio to the TV at all? The only reason to feed audio to the TV in the way you have done would be in order to use the TV's internal speakers- which it seems you are NOT doing. So, you should be able to take the audio sends from the Cable box and route then DIRECTLY to the audio receiver.

And then when you set the TV to proper input and you'll get the picture, you set the receiver to the proper input and you'll get the sound.

If this doesn't make sense, maybe you should email me and we'll chat about it on the phone.

-V

13. Adam_Wolf

Adam_Wolf Agent

I cant reconfigure tonight, but if you are around tomorrow, i would love to call you...that is great of you to offer! im sure it would take a minute....email me directly at [email protected]
    thanks vince, i appreciate it!