just got a new computer and have some questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, May 17, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I haven't had a new computer since my 486 and have a couple of questions; I also have a 19 inch monitor.

For day to day stuff, looking at the net and word processing, what should my monitor resolution be?

I'm using IE and I have it so when I open a new browser from the desktop it goes full screen but when I right click and then 'open in new window', which is my favorite way to surf, the new window is small and I have to maximize it. How do I get it to open full screen; my old computer did it.

jeremy

2. Peter Gizzi

Peter Gizzi Agent

Make the size of IE the way you like it, minimize it, then open it again. Close it, relaunch and it will be the same size as the last size it was before you closed it.

3. Peter Gizzi

Peter Gizzi Agent

4. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

For a 19 inch monitor, I would recommend nothing less than 1024x768 (you may even want to go 1280x960). Higher resolution will allow you to take advantage of your monitor size and view more information on the desktop at the same time.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. Don't make your screen resolution so high that you can't display more than 256 or 16-bit color. Try to set your color to 24-bit or 32-bit if you can.
    2. Make sure your refresh rate is at least 75 Hz. Anything less will produce a noticeable flicker and give you a lot of headaches (literally!). To set your refresh rate, go to Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Adapter Tab and click "List All Modes."[/list=1]

5. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

set your resolution to whatever is most comfortable for your eyes (the 19" i use at work is set to 1152x864, and i sit a bit away from my monitor while coding so for close up use the res could probably be higher, 1280x1024 maybe)

i think there's some sort of federal standard for business systems that requires their monitors to support at least 76Hz or 78Hz(can't remember which) refresh rate at 1024x768 so that prolonged staring at the monitor won't cause the nasty stuff chad mentioned, so if nothing else start there since that's most likely safe for long-term use