Just got a KP-57XBR10W (Sony 57" 16:9), need advice..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kleinke, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I just bought a Sony KP-57XBR10W, what kind of things do I need to do to it to make it look really good? [​IMG] I have avia and intend to do all the configs I can.
    I've heard that these sony RPTVs don't have problems with screen burn in, does this mean I can hook my PS2 up to it and not have any screen burn issues? I intend to use it mostly to watch DVDs (Denon 2800 reserved for me, just need to wait till they get more in stock)
    Any help on this TV or RPTVs in general would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian Kleinke

2. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I own a 64" true ATSC set (RPTV) by Inteq. Just be cautious about watching one mode versus the other too much (4X3 versus 16X9), as the bottom/top versus side "bars" may be susceptible to "edge line" burn.
    My son also has a PS2, but I couldn't give you a response, as his PS2 is not hooked up to that TV (although it says in the PS2 manual NOT to hook-up the PS2 to a RPTV). Contact Sony directly, as they make both products.
    Also, while in "widescreen" mode, you will get the easiest chance to see if the geometry of the set is way off (look for warping of the "rectangle" corners).
    I prefer using the DVD "Video Essentials" to re-adjust/check the TV periodically. Don't sit closer than the recommended distance in your manual, or you'll be shooting yourself in the foot on percieved clarity. And control that room light! [​IMG]

3. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Thanks Richard,
    I intend to strech everything 4:3 to 16:9, I don't like side bars [​IMG] Its being delivered this afternoon, Hopefully the manual has information about hooking up consoles to it.
    Brian

4. Andy

Andy Extra

Brian i have the 65xbr, definitely run avia right away
    and get the user adjustments set in the ballpark.....
    particularly the contrast. AFAIK, any and all RPTV,
    including the widescreen xbr, are susceptible to burn-in.
    But as long as things are setup reasonably , and you
    use a bit of common sense, things should be ok. The
    main thing is having the contrast turned down to an
    approriate low level and when running PS2, you bear in mind
    that the stationary images in some video games are the
    issue....as long as you take breaks and don't have
    the game running for 6hrs at a time. I run a PS2 into mine
    and have run a PSX into an older RPTV with no ill effct.
    Plus more games have a defacto 16:9 setting in their
    menus now too.
    Eventually, you will want to get an ISF technician to adjust
    greyscale and focus and such to get the machine dialed in further.....i am close to having this done myself.
    When you run AVIA you will also get a feel for how the geometry and convergence are on your set and they may have
    to be tended to by ISF-dude as well.....or info can be found on web on the 'howto' if you are inclined to
    adjust geom. yourself.