Just got a Kenwood 504 and need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Butch C, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I cant open the box until Christmas Eve...what do I need thats missing from inside...I know to get some 12 gague wire but anything else...and on the topic;

Im not a big music guy and never had a HT system...how long before I'm gonna want new speakers (I mean I want new speakers now but then again I want new everything)

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

My friend is looking to buy one of these. Just curious where you bought it and for how much? What gauge is the wire that comes in the box? Does it come with an audio cable?

3. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Not allowed to go near the box till Christmas so I only know what the internet specs say...

I printed out the ETRONICS price and had sears match,

DAMN ETRONICS SHUT DOWN THIER MANHATTAN RETAIL STORE AND WONT BE IN BROOKLYN FOR A MONTH!!!

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hi Butch[​IMG]
    Okay, you will need: Some decent speaker cable, some Home Depot 12 gauge will be good(the speaker wire they give you could pass for dental floss, well almost).
    And you will need a digital coax(75 ohm video cable) or an optical cable for your digital connection(DD, dts, PCM), from the DVD player, and maybe another digital connection for a CD player.
    I think thats it, you get a set of analog RCA jacks, and I believe you get the subwoofer cable also.
    I wouldn't worry about upgrading your speakers right away, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good it sounds out of the box, once properly calibrated.
    Maybe you could list the components you are going to be using with this, and we can let you know if you need anything else.

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Butch:

Copule questions.

Is the 504 a receiver only?

Or is it an entire "HT in a box" system, meaning speakers and all?

If it's a boxed system, I wouldn't be so quick to use 12 gauge speaker wire - could be especially difficult to run for the surrounds. Box system speakers work well with the included wire, despite being so thin. Maybe consider 16-18 gauge if you really want to upgrade.

I'm not sure, but I think that a 12 gauge speaker wire for boxed system speakers may be overkill? Usually box systems have everything matched just right, my only concern is that you might damage the speakers by using too thick a wire? Maybe some resident speaker wire experts can speak up. Can you damage a box system speaker by using too thick a wire?

Other things you'll need.

* Decent shielded A/V cables (you know the ones with the red, white & yellow tips). You'll need a set for each component you want to hook up to your receiver/system.

* Digital audio cable for DVD player and CD player.

I noticed on my neighbor's Kenwood that you can only access certain DSP's via analog audio connections. He wanted to listen to CD's and wasn't able to access DSP's via digital connection.

You can get good quality cables for a fair price at Radio Shack. Or you can go and get expensive Monster cables that will do the same thing at your local A/V retailer.

Happy Holidays.

Rich B.

6. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

Butch, what's the story on the price match from Sears? How did that work? Did you order from Sears online or get it from a brick and mortar? Where does their commitment to price matching appear?

7. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Question about setting speaker levels with this system: Does the receiver generate test tones? (I recall reading somewhere that this was a requirement for Dolby Digital licensing.)

If so, one would need a sound meter to set the speakers, such as one of those available from Radio Shack.

8. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I just set up the Kenwood 507 receiver in a conference room at work. Yes it does generate test tones, but the method the receiver employs to set each channel is a little confusing in the manual. Read it carefully. Other than that, it's a very capable unit, you won't be disapionted.

Bill

9. Sean Conklin

The Kenwood HTB-504 comes with the VR-507 receiver,2 larger main speakers with tweeters, horizontal center, 2 smaller surround speakers, and a 100 watt powered subwoofer.

The 507 is a regular receiver that is sold separately as well, and is very flexible with speaker settings, including distances and volume settings. The 507 is also considered one of best of the budget receivers in it's class.

10. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Thanks guys, your helpfulness is an honor to this forum (it gets pretty ugly in the software section)

Sears' price matching policy is listed on thier web site...however, the policy lists a few approved websites(amazon,800,blah,blah)

Depending upon the individual store (brick and mortar) they could price match ANY internet price with the only criteria being that the model #'s match...you include what the shipping cost would have been and that the e-price is not too outrageous.

It might even vary from manager on duty to manager on duty.

As for componants Im using an old (3yrs) Panny TV 27"

and a Panny RV-30...I know I could do better BUT im not anywhere near able to replace at my current financial situation (Christmas and all)

(I plan on my next TV being HD so I will have to wait on that)

No VCR (whats the point) and Dish Net with a 301 package ( I could be talked into the 501 if it would please you)

The room is decent for the setup (im 1ft too far from the 27" screen)

Again thanks for all the help

11. Sean Conklin

Butch if you read my first post to this thread, I think you will see you will only need the cables I mentioned.

And...Merry Christmas and enjoy your new toy!