What's new

Just got a HD-DVD A2 today, need help (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Couldnt pass up Best Buy and the $299 A2, however, i have a problem. Hook up went fine, but the player freezes up on the 1 and only HD DVD i have. Under Seige sucks on regular DVD so i wanted to try it on HD. If only it played for more than 20 minutes without locking up and freeze framing id be happy. The only way to get the disc out was to unplug, plug back, and then eject. The disc looks OK, no dirt or scratches. It has locked up 3 times, in 3 different places. Is it the disc or the player? So far regular DVDs play fine, are they not as prone to freeze ups?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hello fellow Tulsan,
Did you upgrade the firmware? It might be worth a shot. I know disc playback improvements have been mentioned as fixes in the last few firmware updates.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Nope didnt do the firmware yet. Gonna have to get a disc from Toshiba to do that. Tried to call them today, but of course they are all off for the Memorial day holiday. Guess i will call tomorrow, see if i even need an upgrade. I will take back the disc for an exchange too. It was covered in dust and lint when i got it. Used some Dust Off to clean it...didnt help. My regular DVDs sure look good on it!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Welcome to the club, Rick!

Yes, I think you should try a new HD DVD to see how it works. You can upgrade the firmware over the internet (if you happen to have a connection and a cable). Takes about 35 minutes, so a dial-up connection may be inconvenient. Works like a charm (I simply had to do it, because getting sent a CD overseas wouldn't work in practice).

Good luck with a marvellous machine!

Cees

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow do my SD DVDs look good on my 50" Toshiba Plasma! I have DSL on my computer, but running a line from my movie room to the home office would be about a 50 foot run. Got my replacement disc, so i will see how that does. I didnt have a single hang-up on any regular DVD last night, and they all looked fantastic! I wish i had bought a better movie as a test disc, or at least an HD Disc that had some features! Guess thats why i got it so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJ Smallz
Recent bookmarks