Just got a free Tosh 61" proj TV needs repair

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_T, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hello,
    I was just given a 4 year old Toshiba 61" projection TV that was possibly hit by a power surge. The owner didn't want to mess with it since he was buying a new one anyway. I pick the TV up tonight. I'm assuming it's the predecessor to this one:
    http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/current/61A62.html
    Does anyone have an idea what I'd be up against if it was a power surge? I know it's highly subjective, I'm handy with a soldering iron but am far from a TV repairman. I think it would be fun to fix myself but realize I might be over my head in a big way.
    Any ideas how to approach this? I really don't want to spend 500 bucks if I took it in to get repaired, I'm saving my money for a plasma TV in a couple years but this was free so I'm willing to play with it.
    Thanks!
    Darren

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG]
    Sounds like a nice project.
    The first thing we need is power. What are the current symptoms of the TV?

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Here is the quote I got from the guy in email. I don't have it yet so I can't elaborate yet. I'll be picking the TV up tonight.

"It's Toshiba, 4 yrs old. standard. I believe it's theater series. We watched it till last week, probably got a surge during day, now the power button (has a red LCD light) just on/off repeatedly."

This seems like a power interrupt warning indication to me... almost like an internal fuse blew or a protection circuit was tripped. It seems the power supply would be working at least in part for the light to be working.

What do you think?

Darren

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, it's worth a shot. When you get the TV, open it up and trace it back from the power cable. You should find the in-line fuse. I don't think this would exhibit this phenomenon though, either the fuse is blown or its not (no in between) but the problem may be confined to the power supply, maybe. I assume you know the crt has power even when disconnected, right?

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I'm not real familiar with televisions myself but I have a friend that used to be a television repairman a while back so I'll have his expertise. I'm fairly good at troubleshooting though. I always assume there is stored power in TV's so I don't touch much without advice [​IMG]
    Darren

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Uh, I just got it home and plugged it in, turned it on and it has a beautiful picture! Works fine! I think he had it on an improper video setting or something. It has a beautiful picture! 1500 dollar TV for free!

Darren

7. LeoSweers

LeoSweers Auditioning

Amazing!!!
    [​IMG]
    Leo

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What? Maybe you should let some time pass before you let him know. [​IMG]

9. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Roger that. I'm not saying nothin' until after the holiday.

10. Michael Weingar

Congrats on that amazing gift!! You really won one! Enjoy Brother![​IMG]

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Maybe he seized the opportunity and messed w/ the settings himself to convince the wife that they need a new HDTV. [​IMG]
    Just had to throw that one out there. [​IMG]
    BTW, congrats and enjoy! [​IMG]
    _Man_

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Ok, now I've got problems. After watching for about half hour straight the tv went black and the power led is flashing. I'm wondering if it is overheating or something? Is there a fan in there somewhere?

I opened it up and don't see any fans so I doubt that was the problem. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. We had a picture for about 30 more seconds and it went black again. Now I unplug it and plug it back in and the tubes power up then shut down. Any ideas?