What's new

Just got a DVD-Audio capable player...where are the titles? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm hyped about having a DVD-A player, but I'm seriously underwhelmed with the title selection. The only thing I see myself picking up is Core by Stone Temple Pilots, a few of the R.E.M. discs, and possibly Metallica's black album and L.A. Woman from The Doors.

It seems like the big pushers for the format are Warner, and yet they don't seem to have a whole lot of faith on it based on the title selection. If they were big believers in it, wouldn't they be pushing for day and date releases of their major CD releases? I've seen a handful, but that's not gonna bring about market penetration.

There are quite a few SACDs I'd pick up if I had a player, but based on Sony's complete lack of new mid-range and lower end players with SACD compatibility, I tend to wonder if they plan on continuing with their SACD venture.

I like what I've heard thus far, but somebody please tell me the future is gonna be brighter, otherwise I barely see the point of buying new 5.1 cables.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Depends what you are looking for. If you like classic rock, jazz, or classical music you will find many offerings on DVD-A and SACD. Both new formats are a bit light on the newer releases, at this point, but that may change in the future as market penetration increases.

One of the great things I have found with owning players for both Hi-res formats has been the artists and titles that I have been introduced to, which fall outside of the popular radar and I otherwise would not have gotten a chance to experience.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin said:

artists and titles that I have been introduced to, which fall outside of the popular radar and I otherwise would not have gotten a chance to experience.
Excellent point. Admittedly, most of the new music I have been exposed to has occurred with SACD as the medium, but it has happened with DVD-Audio too.

Nick,

Perhaps you should experiment a bit with some classic rock titles on DVD-Audio. I'm talking about Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Steely Dan, etc. There is some great music available on DVD-Audio. Explore!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There are quite a few SACDs I'd pick up if I had a player, but based on Sony's complete lack of new mid-range and lower end players with SACD compatibility, I tend to wonder if they plan on continuing with their SACD venture.
Huh? Sony still sells the DVP-NS755V for a mere $250. It's progressive DVD with built-in SACD capability. If it sounds as good as my NS-500V it's quite a bargain. There's no lack of midrange and lower players if you spend 5 minutes looking for them.

Ryan Chron

Grip
check out both queen's "A Night at the Opera" and "The Game" on dvd-a. Even if you aren't a big queen fan, you will be by the time you hear the surround mixes. I heard core didn't have that strong of a mix. "L.A. Woman" is really good as well as "Empire" by Queensryche, "Machine Head" by Deep Purple and the black album is amazing to hear in surround if you have good full range speakers. These discs more than justify dvd-audio.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
If you've ever liked ELP, the Dolby Digital tracks off the DVD-A of "Brain Salad Surgery" are better than any previous release (and I have all of them).

My DVD-A player arrives this week, and I'll edit this message concerning the DVD-A tracks (although I can't see how they wouldn't be yet better).

I have several DVD-A disks just for the DD 5.1 mixes (previously I was a fan of Ambisonics and Quadraphonic).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks