Just got a DVD-Audio capable player...where are the titles?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nick Graham, May 6, 2003.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I'm hyped about having a DVD-A player, but I'm seriously underwhelmed with the title selection. The only thing I see myself picking up is Core by Stone Temple Pilots, a few of the R.E.M. discs, and possibly Metallica's black album and L.A. Woman from The Doors.

It seems like the big pushers for the format are Warner, and yet they don't seem to have a whole lot of faith on it based on the title selection. If they were big believers in it, wouldn't they be pushing for day and date releases of their major CD releases? I've seen a handful, but that's not gonna bring about market penetration.

There are quite a few SACDs I'd pick up if I had a player, but based on Sony's complete lack of new mid-range and lower end players with SACD compatibility, I tend to wonder if they plan on continuing with their SACD venture.

I like what I've heard thus far, but somebody please tell me the future is gonna be brighter, otherwise I barely see the point of buying new 5.1 cables.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Depends what you are looking for. If you like classic rock, jazz, or classical music you will find many offerings on DVD-A and SACD. Both new formats are a bit light on the newer releases, at this point, but that may change in the future as market penetration increases.

One of the great things I have found with owning players for both Hi-res formats has been the artists and titles that I have been introduced to, which fall outside of the popular radar and I otherwise would not have gotten a chance to experience.

J

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin said:

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5. Ryan Chron

Ryan Chron Extra

check out both queen's "A Night at the Opera" and "The Game" on dvd-a. Even if you aren't a big queen fan, you will be by the time you hear the surround mixes. I heard core didn't have that strong of a mix. "L.A. Woman" is really good as well as "Empire" by Queensryche, "Machine Head" by Deep Purple and the black album is amazing to hear in surround if you have good full range speakers. These discs more than justify dvd-audio.

6. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Harvest by Neil Young is amazing!

8. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

If you've ever liked ELP, the Dolby Digital tracks off the DVD-A of "Brain Salad Surgery" are better than any previous release (and I have all of them).

My DVD-A player arrives this week, and I'll edit this message concerning the DVD-A tracks (although I can't see how they wouldn't be yet better).

I have several DVD-A disks just for the DD 5.1 mixes (previously I was a fan of Ambisonics and Quadraphonic).

9. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor