Just got a Denon 1803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Just thought I'd give a little mini-review for those interested or maybe considering purchasing.
    This receiver is awesome. I hooked it up last night after work and it kicks some major booty. It handels everything I throw at it with ease. The setup was pretty straight forward and simple. Although most complain about the remote, I don't think it is too bad. Sure there are a lot of buttons, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The back of the receiver is clearly marked and all conections are easy.
    Naturally, I haven't played with all of the functions yet, but I messed with it till about midnight last night and this morning. It almost made me late for a final![​IMG]
    Feel free to ask me anything you want about it.

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Sweet! This receiver is the front runner for me at the moment. How do you feel about the power? Do you have it set up for HT yet? If so, does it seem to handle power well with "all channels driven"? Thanks!

Lee

3. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I've had mine for about a month now and I'm very happy. I first had the video signals running through the receiver but decided to run all straight to the tv to cut costs and reduce any video degradation from running signals through. I have a universal that I use so I don't have a problem with the remote. Some people have mentioned that it doesn't have preouts. For $370 for 1803, I would upgrade to a stand-alone pre-pro if I decided down the road to go that route so that doesn't bother me. The power is great. I live in an apartment so I haven't turned it up too much and even when I turn it up for movies and music, I still have plenty of power. For the price, I couldn't be happier. It has a very nice build quality to it. If you do run video signals through it, it is annoying that you can't switch video signals without switching sound also. There might be a way around it but since I run all video straight to my Panny whcih has plenty of inputs, I don't have to worry about that. Congrats on getting the 1803, I think you'll be pretty happy with it.

4. Jeff Braddock

Lee,
    The power seems good. I only have 2 CV tower speakers hooked to it as that is what I had before getting the 1803. It seems to power them with ease in ht and music. I cranked it this morning before heading to school and it has pleny of juice. I doubt it will have any trouble with all speakers hooked up, but I can't say for certian as I only have the 2 hooked up.
    It also has a lot more clarity than my previous receiver (Technics stereo receiver). As testimony to this, my wife commented that she heard frequencies that she never heard with the other receiver (she didn't use that terminology, but that is what she meant [​IMG]). Hope I answered you questions. Feel free to ask more as I will answer them as best as I can. I can hardly wait to get back home to play with it.[​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen: I just purchased an 1803 for the bedroom. Can you tell me why the unit keeps wanting to default to Dolby ProLogic II even though I set it up for "Auto" mode and the DVD player is outputting a DD 5.1 signal? No matter what I try (and I reinitialized the thing twice), it keeps going back to DPL II. Thanks. JB

6. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

Jack,

Does it stay in DPL II? Mine will default back to DPL II when I put the disc in or go to the menu, but it goes immediately to DD or dts when the 5.1 signal starts.

7. Jack Briggs

Yep, it stays in PL II, or indicates such on the screen, even when a DD 5.1 signal is being fed to it. And the DD indicator light does not come on, but the indicator light for "Auto" is on.

8. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Jeff, I have CV tower speakers right now too! I cannot remember the model number, but I bought them back in 1994 or 95. They are three ways with a 10" woofer, 3 1/2" midrange, and 1 " tweeter. I'm powering them with a Pioneer unit that is rated at 150 x 2. So dropping to 80 x 2 may be a dissapointment. But I will be upgrading to smaller speakers (although slightly larger power range) with a higher sensitivty. So hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

9. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

Jack...same situation here...PLII is default until the DD kicks in. I have little experience with DD 5.1 audio CD's but the receiver correctly switches to DD with all the DVD's that I watch.
    As for the other discussion: I have owned mine about two months and have been pretty happy with it. I have put it through its paces time and time again. I've only been able to heat it up watching LOTR at 00db, which is quite loud, with all six amps running. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to see if I could achieve reference level so I threw on the the Moria fight scene. I had just calibrated with AVIA (no subwoofer boosting) and kept cranking with my SPL in hand. When the cave troll hit the turf I reached 112 db.
    Cool. [​IMG] (I run JBL Northridge)
    Only recently have I been toying around with a 6.1 setup in my bedroom. I watched some es/EX material...great. Then I watched some normal DD 5.1 material and got the DD EX flag. It seems any DD material will be decoded in DD EX fashion unless I turn off the back speaker, which, thankfully, can be done from the remote. Is this how its normally done? If every DD 5.1 track can be decoded in EX then what is the point of labeling an audio track Dolby Digital EX? They would essentially all be in DD EX, correct? I was surprised by this.

10. Justin H

Jack,

Have you tried a DVD?

11. Jack Briggs

Justin: DVDs are the only thing I've played through this receiver so far. I haven't even switched to FM or any other mode. Thing is, when fed a DD 5.1 signal, it seems to be DD 5.1 sound (the placement of sound effects seems correct). As I said, the "Auto" indicator light goes on, but the Dolby Digital light does not, and the screen still says "DVD Dolby PLII."

12. Justin H

hmmm...that is strange

I put mine in Auto right from the start and haven't changed it since. It always picks up DD 5.1 or dts and displays them accordingly. I think a call to Denon may be in your future.

13. Jack Briggs

And the Dolby Digital indicator light goes on, right? And the screen readout says "DVD Dolby Digital"?

14. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

How are you sending the digital signal from your dvd player? It could be a faulty cable or check your dvd player menu and make sure it is sending a dts and dd signal. I thought my 1803 wasn't recognizing a dts signal until I went into the dvd player menu and realized I hadn't enabled dts to be sent. That might be your problem, check that?

15. Justin H

Indicator light goes on and display shows:

DolbyD DVD
    or
    DTS
    or
    DolbyDEX DVD

when it PLII it reads 'PLII' then the source

16. Jack Briggs

Well, the player is set up correctly and is sending out a DD signal. But the indicator lights aren't showing the signal is being received correctly (again, "DVD PLII"). I'm using an optical cable, and it's probably a bit fragile. It's in a pretty tight space.

17. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    I had a similar problem (but with a differen brand).
    My DVD player was sending out PCM signals instead of bitstream. I changed the DVD player's digital output to bitstream and my AV receiver detected the digital 5.1 signal.

18. Jack Briggs

Hmmm. My next move then.

19. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Is the digital input assignment on the receiver assigned to the correct input? ie, dvd input set to optical 1 (or 2 or 3 depending on which input the cable is inserted)

Best of luck
    Phil

20. Jeff Braddock

Jack,
    Mine goes to PLII until the movie actually starts playing. At first this freaked me out till I realized what it was doing. Try playing a movie and in the upper left hand corner of the remote it has a Dolby Digital/DTS button. Try pushing that, maybe that would force it into one of those modes if the signal is present. Also, you might want to do a status check with the remote to make sure that you have the optical cable assigned to the DVD. I know you already checked, but if your like me you sometimes observe one thing but see another.[​IMG] If the indicator light is not coming on it doesn't sound like it is receiving a digital signal though. Do you have a spare composite video wire laying around? If so you might want to try a digital coax connection if the DVD player is capable. If you haven't yet, you may want to check to make sure the cable hasn't wiggled loose when moving the receiver or dvd player or something of that nature. Keep us updated.
    Lee,
    Those sound like mine. You might be dissappointed in the power, but I seriously doubt that your receiver ever put out that much power, plus the Denon is likely to be a higher quality processor so I think you will have a net gain sound wise, plus the ability to watch movies in 6.1 surround sound!
    Justin,
    About the EX thing, I'm not sure. My guess is that it would matrix the 6th channel from a regular 5.1 signal. Just a guess though.