What's new

Just Getting Started (1 Viewer)

absquaredx

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Good evening all & happy holidays!

I just bought a 60" 4k TV this past black friday and for christmas got myself a Denon AVR-S720W Receiver. I currently have no speakers or subwoofer for my system and am looking for ideas. I have been currently looking at the Pioneer SP-BS22 and SP-FS52 speakers to start. However, my coworker recommended the Boston Acoustic Classic II 2300 set + Dayton Audio SUB-1200 Subwoofer. I am not sure what I should go for as i am new to all this and just want something that will provide great sound a low cost budget. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You're deciding on two different aspects: tower vs satellite system, and low end vs a step up. (And when I say low-end, I mean low end of the decent options; they're much worse junk out there.) A big question for me is whether you'll be using this primarily for video or a mix of music and video. If the answer is music, then I'd go for the tower Pioneer system. If primarily video, then I'd do neither and go with the bookshelf Pioneers all-around and add a sub (the Dayton works); it's the best low-cost entry option until you can determine what you're individual preferences are. Backing up a step, if your coworker has the Boston Acoustics I'd see if he'd audition them for you, as a personal listen is the best way to decide.

absquaredx

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
I would say the system would definitely be used more for video. We hardly ever if at all play music. However if we did, it would more than likely be low and just background noise. It's not a tremendous factor for us.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hey Brandon welcome to the forum :welcome:

So you have an AVR (a pretty good one by the way) but you need speakers and a sub. Sounds like you're going for a 5.1 setup. I have some questions for you.

• What is the budget? This will determine quite a bit on how you proceed.
  • How large is the room you're using?
  • What space concerns do you have? No point in looking at towers if the wife won't allow them.
  • Are you going to wall mount the speakers, use stands or want towers all the way around.

absquaredx

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Hey Brandon welcome to the forum :welcome:

So you have an AVR (a pretty good one by the way) but you need speakers and a sub. Sounds like you're going for a 5.1 setup. I have some questions for you.

• What is the budget? This will determine quite a bit on how you proceed.
  • How large is the room you're using?
  • What space concerns do you have? No point in looking at towers if the wife won't allow them.
  • Are you going to wall mount the speakers, use stands or want towers all the way around.

So I'm considering doing a 5.1 setup over time. For now I was looking at doing at least a 3.1 (center, pair of bookshelves, & sub). My living room is approximately 18x12, no real space concerns just somewhat small for wife approval. The budget right now is about $400 no more. Wall mounting is an option, however I have shelving and tables I could set the speakers on if needed.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
So I'm considering doing a 5.1 setup over time. For now I was looking at doing at least a 3.1 (center, pair of bookshelves, & sub). My living room is approximately 18x12, no real space concerns just somewhat small for wife approval. The budget right now is about $400 no more. Wall mounting is an option, however I have shelving and tables I could set the speakers on if needed.

Ok lets recap $400 budget, 18x12' room, You have things to put speakers on, somewhat small for wife approval, 3.1 min 5.1 max and the AVR is already there. Here are some options.

5.1 - The Boston CS2300 $200 is a very good set to start off with if you wanted something small...and I do mean small. I owned these and they are sats and as such will require a sub. For an HT setup they will do great and have very high WAF depending on the sub you pair with them. The Dayton Sub-1200 is a solid choice for an entry level sub and it's on sale for $130 right now. However, you need to make sure the wife is ok with a big black box in the living room. This is not a small sub. If you wanted another option that is smaller I would look at the Polk PSW111 $145 (on sale). Keeping in mind that you might want to add a second one later on as the room is a decent size.

3.1 - Micca MB42X (level 1 speakers) $90, MB42XC center $80 and a sub (either one from above) will come in under budget. You could also do the pioneers but I think the Micca's will do better especially if using a sub with them as their highs are better. They are also smaller than the pioneers but larger than the Boston's above. This setup will allow you to cross the to the sub at a much lower level so the sub can "disappear" into the background more. The higher cross required by the Boston's will make the sub more localized. However, the Bostons are better speakers for the mids and highs.

3.0 - Boston CS26 (level 2 speakers) $105 ea and the matching CS225C $105 This setups gets you going to better speakers but you will have to save up for a sub or go down to a smaller Dayton if you're willing to stretch the budget. However, being that these are larger speakers you can get by without a sub for a bit.

We can discuss a 2.0/2.1 setup but it sounds like you want the center. Going with less speakers will however get you into towers or better bookshelf units.

absquaredx

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Awesome! Thanks very much for the input. I will consider all of these and see what works best for us!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks