What's new

Just getting started (1 Viewer)

James-H

Auditioning
Hello all! I am about to jump into the home audio arena and would like some suggetions/advice please. I am considering a NAD T753 (or the T743) for receiver. I feel pretty comfortable with this choice. For speakers I am leaning toward one of these Polk systems:

RM6700 w/ PSW303 ($1100)
RM7200 w/psw550 ($1530)
Front/RTi38 Rear/RTi28 Center/CSi30 psw/303 ($1390)

I like the RM models due to its smaller size but I do not want to compromise quality or power for design or size.

The room is approx. 13'x28' w/ hardwood and I am trying to work with a $1500 - $2000 budget.

One more question. What are some pros/cons to getting towers w/powered subs. A rep at a high-end place here in B'ham did not recommend them.

I have read quite a bit on this site and thanks to you guys I will not go back to the Bose store like I had planned.

thanks in advance

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Front/RTi38 Rear/RTi28 Center/CSi30 psw/303 ($1390)

That is my pick of the ones you mentioned but I would ditch the Polk sub(I have one) and go with something else (svs, hsu, adire audio, velodyne, paradigm, JBL etc). The polk RTI series is berry good IMO.

The pros to towers are LF efficiency, quality and extension. The cons are size, and the placement for the speaker may not be ideal for the built in sub. IMO it is better to either seperate them or get both but that is redundant.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you get tower speakers, you won't HAVE to have a subwoofer. You can set the speakers to large, and the LFE (bass) will go to the towers. You can set them to small, and it sends the LFE to a subwoofer. Enjoy!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please discuss specific speaker models here in Speakers/Subwoofers. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner's level.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Polk speakers are good, but their subwoofers leave much to be desired. I too recomend buying a subwoofer from a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer such as SVS or Hsu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks