Just getting started - I already have questions and will update

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin R, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Kevin R

Kevin R Auditioning

Hope this is the right place for this. Please let me know if it is not.

OK everyone I am just getting started on my dedicated home thater project and I have been lurking here for quite some time.

The room is 12' X 18'6" with 10' ceilings and was originally designed as a pool room (turned out to be just a bit small) moving the pool table up to our 14 x 18 loft upstairs and I get a dedicated theater room. The wife is not thrilled with the idea of 3 rooms with couches in a row, but I have convinced her at this point and she says if we are going to make it a movie room than make it a REAL movie room (lucky me YEAH) so off we go...

First step is to make it into an enclosed room fitted for a dedicated theater. As you can see in the picture the room is open to the entry of our hosue by a large 6 x 9 arch that I will fill with double arch doors (this will burn about 10% of my budget actually - bye bye anew reciever and an extra sub) The room is quite dark to start with only one window getting late afternoon sun, and that will easily be covered by black out curtains that will cover the entire back wall and server as both window covering and some sound absorption.

I plan on raising the back of the room by framing 2 x 8 studs with one 4" step on the right side and placing it above the existing carpet getting the risers carpeted to match (carpet is less than 2 years old and not worn so matching should be no problem)

That brings me to my first question... How do I build the riser? Do I need to attach the exterior 2x8s to the walls or will it be ok freestanding? if free standing how to I ensure they stay close to the wall so I can do molding etc...

2. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Hey Kevin,

Build your riser like you would a wall sitting on the floor. I didn't attack my riser to the back wall and have not had any problems with vibrations or whatnot. Fill your cavaties with good solid insulation, use lots of screws and liquid nails / adhesive for your plywood top and away you go! [​IMG]

Lots of people have lots of suggestions on building risers and I'm sure they will offer their opinions here.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
    Andrew

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve never built one myself, but I think I’d go with 2” x 6” for added rigidity instead of the 2” x 4” used for walls. After all, you don’t want the floor to be flexing and creaking when you walk across it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Andrew Stoakley

Correct. I meant to say build it like you would a wall. Studs 16" on centre and so forth. My own riser is made up of 2 x 6's, studs 16" on centre with two layers of 3/4" plywood, all screwed down with lots and lots of screws and wood adhesive. The cavities are filled with Safe N' Sound by Roxul. I didn't bother putting roofing paper or any other types of paper product that some people have done and I'm quite happy with the project. The riser doesn't move, creak, crack, rattle or roll no matter who's standing on it or what movie I'm watching.

It's a great project to work on!!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

5. Kevin R

Kevin R Auditioning

April 4th Update - pbase.com/g35kev/home_theater

Riser - Finished the riser platform and have ordered the carpet. I ended up using 2x10 instead of 2x8 for the height and I am glad I did. I built the structure like a deck basically, placing the joists 15" apart (worked better than 16") and then filled with Insulation. Only did one layer of floor boards since I will be placing thick carpet pad and carpet down.

Pre-Wire - Just had the installers leave today after doing most the pre-wire. After watching off and on I could have done it myself but would have taken alot longer and I am sure I would have made mistakes. I had the room wired for 7.1 even though my system is 5.1.

Paint - Once all the wiring is complete I will paint the entire room in Ralph Lauren Suede (Bison) I did the screen wall so we could mount the screen and I would only have to do touch up on that wall. I am real happy with the paint and the texture and depth it ads.

Screen - Mounted the 100" Firehawk screen on the wall - wow

Next Question I have is should I paint the ceiling. I am going to do crown molding around the top, but I cant decide if I should paint the ceiling or not.

6. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

How far do you want to push it with your wife? [​IMG]

IMO you can't beat a flat black ceiling in a dedicated room, but being that this in on the first floor in the main part of the house that may not be an option. At a minimum I would try to come to a compromise on a darker color that still fits with the rest of your decor asit will go a long way in reducing annoying reflections from the screen.

7. Andrew Stoakley

I agree with Chip. I borrowed one of those "painters books" from a friend, post-it noted a couple of colours and let my wife make the final decision. I was happy with all the choices, but felt it better to have her involved and then she wouldn't get mad at me for the final product [​IMG]

Pick your battles my father always told me.... LOL.

She ended up choosing "Deep Space" by Benjamin Moore in flat black and I love the ceiling - no reflections.

Cheers,
    Andrew