What's new

just gettin started! (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys....
So i want to get things going, i finally got a 36" Panasonic tube earlier this year and would like to get the HT going...
so i've been perusing the forums for a while, and i think i may go with the Denon 2802 and Energy Take 5.2 system, i don't want huge speakers but i do want a good sound and real drivers... i'm not into this whole "bundled Home Theater" concept yet either...
the new Denon series seem to be pretty decent as well, i know the 3802 is "discrete" amps, etc - but will i really notice a difference? what is comparable to the 2802 and 3802 in different brands if you aren't a Denon fan?
also, would the Adire Rava sub be a suitable match for the Take5 speakers? i know the 5.2 "system" has a matchine 8" subwoofer, but really now - i understand speaker concepts and more air means more boom :) (not going for a boomy system, just looking to rattle the teeth once in a while) :)
my room is not the best setup, vaulted ceiling and 14x18 in size (although it mates up with the kitchen)
i have to admit, haven't been to GoodGuys yet to take a listen - but are these components decently matched?
also, to note - i have an APEX DVD/CD/MP3 player and some old junk VCR to boot :)
------------------
[Edited last by Todd Christ on November 15, 2001 at 01:11 AM]

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
wow only 9 hours have passed and my thread is this far down already!!? wow - this forum moves!!!
can anyone give some guidance to the questions above?

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, the 2802 has a good following here and should suit your needs just fine. As an option, look into a comparably priced Onkyo model(595, 696). Either brand, you can't go wrong.
Although I've never heard the Energy system, it is highly regarded. I have the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 100 system, which is also excellent. I believe it is a little more $$ than the Energy, but definately worth listening to if they are locally available.
That's my 2 cents........

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
Todd: I have the def.tech.prociema 100's in my familyroom which is 22.5 x 19.5 and they are awesome sounding if properly connected.I also have the Energy take5 in my kids t.v. room.The energy's are powered w/Yamaha the Def.tech's are powered w/marantz sr7000.To me there is no comparison.The Def.Techs can't be beat in the Sat/sub speaker category.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Take a look at klipsch also,I have them all the way and love them,mated with my svs,its just perfect for movies.I do not know what the energys run but I assume they are around $500?you could probably do 2 sets of sb-1(front and rears) and the matching center sc-.5 for just over $500.
I have mine mated with an older onkyo txds575 and this reciever is great.I will upgrade it eventually but for now,its great.
------------------
Chad's DVDs

Leo A. Chimo

Agent
Todd-
I have the 2802 & the 5.2 w/8 sub. I love the system. If I had it to do over again, I might get the 10" sub - but I am still very satisfied with the purchase. One note: the Denon's remote sucks bigtime.

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Todd...I'm sure that you will have lots of options by the time the day is out.Anyway,stick with name brand ie:Denon,Harmon Kardon,Onkyo stuff like that for a receiver.However,a recent article in Sound & Vision magazine wasn't very encouraging towards the Onkyo 696.(something about 46/watts per channel)Also,Klipsch,Energy and many others offer superb speakers but keep in mind when choosing a brand to plan for future growth of your system.In other words buy excellent speakers that can handle plenty of current so when you upgrade your receiver in the future.Also think a little about surrounds and center channel now as well.The speakers you plan on buying now should be timbre matched with the center channel and,not as important, the rear surrounds.I have DefTech BP-10's and I love them.Regards...

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks!
great input guys!
so, does anyone want to comment on the Adire Rava Subwoofer in conjunction with this type of speaker system? (i.e. Energy, Klipsche, etc)
i've heard a lot of satellites are lacking the "punch" that the larger speakers have....
thanks again...

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Rava
A good little sub!!! Souds like just what your looking for...
There are a few on the board running the Rava and or had first hand experience with it....
Do a search for it as the search function has been working most of the time lately.
Jeffrey Former, I think thats right. Im sorry Jeff if I got it wrong, and has posted a number of times in the past about the Rava in regards to it's performaces.. I hope im remembering correctly, he later moved up to an SVS later.
Good luck
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks