just following up

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

a while back i asked questions about the tb 871S. i finally ordered some my plans are to make 3 1.5's and 2 super elf kits for music and for the front stage on movies. my question is what size enclosure for the 1.5s i am making the crossovers that Tim F. reccomended with a 1.5Mh inductor and a 4ohm resistor. Since this is my first time making something like this i need to know how to wire them and one last question iv read many times that you must mount the drivers flush for it to sound proper. Do i really have to?

Thanks ,Kevin

2. Kevin Patterson

a while back i asked questions about the tb 871S. i finally ordered some my plans are to make 3 1.5's and 2 super elf kits for music and for the front stage on movies. my question is what size enclosure for the 1.5s i am making the crossovers that Tim F. reccomended with a 1.5Mh inductor and a 4ohm resistor. Since this is my first time making something like this i need to know how to wire them and one last question iv read many times that you must mount the drivers flush for it to sound proper. Do i really have to?

Thanks ,Kevin

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I can't speak to the crossover particulars, but I can say that you don't HAVE to flush mount the drivers. I have yet to flush mount a driver in all my speakerbuilding days, and nobody has come up to me and said 'Wow, that just doesn't sound proper!'. [​IMG] That's not to say it wouldn't sound better if things were flush mounted, but I also suspect the difference can be quite small, and highly dependent upon the design of the front edge of the driver frame.

So, flush mount them if you can do so easily, but don't freak out if it can't be done. The overall character of the sound is not going to change.

Aaron Gilbert

4. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

I can't speak to the crossover particulars, but I can say that you don't HAVE to flush mount the drivers. I have yet to flush mount a driver in all my speakerbuilding days, and nobody has come up to me and said 'Wow, that just doesn't sound proper!'. [​IMG] That's not to say it wouldn't sound better if things were flush mounted, but I also suspect the difference can be quite small, and highly dependent upon the design of the front edge of the driver frame.

So, flush mount them if you can do so easily, but don't freak out if it can't be done. The overall character of the sound is not going to change.

Aaron Gilbert

5. Kevin Patterson

Thanks Aaron, does anyone else have sudgestions or opinions?

6. Kevin Patterson

Thanks Aaron, does anyone else have sudgestions or opinions?

7. Kevin Patterson

anyboady?

8. Kevin Patterson

anyboady?

9. Kevin Patterson

Well i got the speakers today they look really cool in person. Anyway i think i am going to go with the cabinet on the manuel for the speakers witch is 6.5x10.5x9.25. I now know how to wire the cross over and just wanted more opinions on flush mounting and the size of the cabinet.

Thanks,
    KEvin[​IMG]