What's new

Just finished tempest sonotube (1 Viewer)

BenjaminA

Grip
I just finished my 240 liter sonosub. I tuned it to 20 hz and have been listening to it for the last couple of hours. I have not calibrated it yet and it sounds awesome. I have been listening to it at about 90 decibals and it made me sick so I had to shut it off for a while. I have a question about whether or not people have put a gasket between the sub and mdf. I thought there would be a gasket on the sub, but there wasn't so I just put it on as is. Should I put one on and if so what to use. Thanks

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I just finished mine as well (just in time for SuperBowl!)

I did put some wheather stripping on the woofer before I installed it.

They rock!!

How do you calibrate this thing? I have my AVA250 turned to about 80HZ the gain about 1/4 of the way and the Phase at midpoint. anything else I need to know?

BenjaminA

Grip
I also have another question. I have not put polyfil in my sonotube yet. I am planning on putting it in. The way it sounds right now is very hollow and clattery(that is all I can think of to discribe it). I want to know if this sounds like a problem of not having polyfil in it yet or if I have another problem. Thanks

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Instead of the polyfil, I recommend using the poly blanket stuff. I basically "coated" the walls of my sonotube sub with the poly blankets, and never got any of the hollow sound. Polyfil will probably work, but may be more difficult to apply right (unless you use a whole lot of it).

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Polyfil will work fine, Acoustastuff might be better. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I read a study that showed that fill had the most effect when it was in the middle of the enclosure, not just the sides.

JP

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Ben,

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get some 1/4 inch rope caulk in the weather striping section. Wrap it a couple of layers wide around the driver then press to the mdf hole. I makes a great air tight seal. Dan Wiggins of Adire (the designer of the Tempest) recommended it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks