What's new

Just finished Sopranos Season 3 and I have questions SPOILERS (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I think this topic will obviously contain spoilers so I will not put spoiler tags in unless someone complains
First off it was much better then I expected after everyone was so down on it compared to Season 2. However I would have hoped that they wrap up a few more plot lines. Anyway most of my questions are towards the end of the show. I understand that Ralphie set Jackie Jr. up on purpose by telling him that story. I don't understand why though. What does Ralphie have to gain by getting rid of Jackie? Also why does Tony not do more to save Jackie's life? I know that Jackie committed a major offense but Tony seems to know Ralphie set him up. Tony returns Ralphie's gun to him and plays dumb saying he thinks it belongs to him when he knows Jackie had told him that Ralphie gave it to him. Did they ever explain the NY boss's motivation for moving to NJ? It was obvious that there something else going on there. I suppose these plots will be continued next season but it would help in the meantime if I could better understand the characters motivations. I imagine the Season 4 dvd set won't be released until next fall and thats a long time to wait.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Maybe your right, but I got the distinct impression Ralphie knew what he was doing. The story seemed very calculated. He kept telling Jackie if only he had the balls to do what Tony and Jackie did he would have risen through the ranks as fast as they did. You are probably right about Tony's movitations, thats what I thought, but I would have expected to at least see Tony privately distraught over the decision. Jackie Sr. had basically asked Tony to keep Jackie Jr. out of trouble. He had to know there was no way Ralphie wouldn't get rid of Jackie. As for getting HBO, I wish I could but I'm stilling living in University Housing so I'm stuck with that at least for the next six months. After watching the pine barrens episode I'm hoping they try to dump a body up in Sussex so I can see some places closer to where I live.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I always thought that they were going to give Jackie Jr. a pass, that is what at least both of them said, plus Tony and Jackie Sr. were best friends and he was going to look after Jackie Jr. no matter what. I didn't think Tony thought Ralphie was going to kill Jackie Jr. and really thinks it was a "drug issue" murder.

I just watched "Pine Barrens' last night and that is such a classic Soprano episode.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Maybe its just the pervert in me speaking, but was anyone else dissappointed they didn't further develop the plot about the female tennis instructor's 'interest' in Adrianna?:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Benson, you've got just two weeks to make a new friend, based on just a single criterion -- do they get HBO? :)
M.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I understand that Ralphie set Jackie Jr. up on purpose by telling him that story.
This wasn't the case. If you listen to the commentary by David Chase, he explains that Ralphie was just reminiscing and imparting wisdom on the younger generation and that Ralphie can't help but to talk too much. Case even says that the story of Ralphie getting the clap was a lie and that he was probably not invited or too scared to go on the job.

David Chase also says that Tony never had any intentions of letting Jackie off the hook. Tony couldn't in anyway be tied to getting rid of Jackie, not by the Feds and not by Meadow. Instead he puts it on Ralphie to get rid of him. It was always intended that Ralphie was to get rid of Jackie. (listen to the commentary during the part where Tony is talking to Ralphie about what to do with Jackie)

And, definetly find a Sopranos viewing group for this next season!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I get HBO but I'm not gonna watch until almost the end of the season. I can't stand having to wait another week to see what's next. So I'll record it each week, and about week 11 start watching them at my own pace, one a night, maybe two some evenings if I really want to see what happens next.

I just find it easier, (more preferable) to wait for the whole season than have to wait in between each episode.

I was hoping Dr. Melfi would finally confess to Tony about her rape and ask him to "take care" of the rapist. Now that's one guy from Season 3 who really deserves to get whacked.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
The plot line I'm most interested in (and hoping its covered this season) is the Russian commando guy that got away from Christopher and Paulie in the woods. I think that was Amour Fou? Damn, that was a great episode...
JQ

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Jason: Pine Barrens, man! Best episode of the series so far.

John: Me too, every time she got close I was like "Just say it already!"

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I don't think Tony would do anything about Jennifer's rapist. Jennifer is not family member or a goomah and Tony is not a vigilante.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I don't think Tony would do anything about Jennifer's rapist. Jennifer is not family member or a goombah and Tony is not a vigilante.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Look back at season 1 and how close he came to having the soccer coach whacked, as well as his reaction to how Ralphie treated his girlfriend who was bearing his illegitimiate child. I'm pretty sure Tony wouldn't consider it crossing a line to have "Employee of the Month" killed.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I have no doubt Tony would have that guy whacked if Jennifer told him what happened and wanted Tony to do something. Tony really likes Jennifer and they are friends in a way so I think he would kill or have the rapist killed.

I am going to have watch the commentaries; it's amazing how much more you learn.

Jason, I think the conclusion to the Pine Barrens plot will definantly happen this season.

"He's out there, and he's probably hunting us."
"With what, his cock?"
LOL.

D

DAN NEIR

A friend of mine from work who trains Dre De Matteo told me she said they decided to drop the whole tennis instructor angle but that originally it was gonna be written as some sort of lesbian interest angle.
I'd like to know why they re casted the part that was originally played by Fairuza Balk.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'd like to know why they re casted the part that was originally played by Fairuza Balk.
IIRC, Fairuza's Balk's availability was the issue. Something to do with the long delay between seasons introduced a problem with her committing to the part. Again, just a vague recollection.
I've only watched the first 4 episodes, up to and including the brilliant "Employee of the Month." That episode makes the Melfi-Tony relationship pretty clear. She needs him as much as he needs her. Early in the episode, he becomes very agitated when she suggests he "move on" to a behaviourist. His fear of abandonment kicks in pretty heavily - just look at his eyes. Then later on, she forcefully says "no!" when he brings it up again, then bursts into tears. Tony's reaction when she cries? "What did I do?" and he tentatively moves in to comfort her. A great scene and a revelation. Tony blames himself for the unhappiness of anyone around him. I guess he has mommy-dearest to thank for that one. :)
IMO, there is no question that Tony would have the rapist clipped if he knew what actually took place. It would take a considerable effort for him not to avenge her. That was one of the themes of the first season: Tony's need to personally exact justice. Melfi said something to him regarding the soccer coach - "Why do you think it's your job to [exact justice]" or something to that effect.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Mitty, I figured The Pine Barrens loose end was the fact that the "Interior Decorator" was never found by Christopher and Pauly and that Pauly's car was gone/stolen. I figured the Russian was still alive and took Pauly's car back into town.

"He single handily killed 16 Chezks and he's an interior decorator."
"Really? His place looked like crap."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mitty, I figured The Pine Barrens loose end was the fact that the "Interior Decorator" was never found by Christopher and Pauly and that Pauly's car was gone/stolen. I figured the Russian was still alive and took Pauly's car back into town.
And in Chase's original plan, that was the last you'd hear of him. He's said numerous times that he never intended to follow up with that character. But it's certainly possible that he changed his mind in light of audience reaction.

M.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
IMO, there is no question that Tony would have the rapist clipped if he knew what actually took place. It would take a considerable effort for him not to avenge her. That was one of the themes of the first season: Tony's need to personally exact justice. Melfi said something to him regarding the soccer coach - "Why do you think it's your job to [exact justice]" or something to that effect.
The soccer coach was connected to Meadow. I just don't think he would risk exposure to avenge someone outside the family.

I guess we'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks