What's new

Just finished reading LOTR....I need a new book!..recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Graham Perks

Second Unit
If you'd like space epic, definitely Asimov's Foundation series. His Robot series are also good; however not having read them for years I forget which are the best ones!

...the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan... It's just Tolkien-esque, but in my opinion a little more concise...

Even if you don't read all 9 (so far) books
!!! I had to laugh out loud at this! How anyone can mention "The Wheel of Time" and "concise" in the same sentence I'll never know. It was a good story but spread out over way too many pages. He lost me after book 6 when I figured he was just dragging out the story to sell more books. I still wonder if he just keeps writing because he can't think of a good ending :)

If you like fantasy books, Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy is superb, and happens to be set in an AD&D world. Pretty much Salvatore invented the Dark Elf society in this trilogy.

OK, OK I'll start the Fire and Ice book that's been in my to-read pile for some time now :)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I still wonder if he just keeps writing because he can't think of a good ending :)

I've been to several of Jordan's book signings, and he says over and over again that he has the ending very clearly in his mind. Its getting to that point that apparently causes him trouble.

Not that I mind. While the story could certainly be greatly condensed, Jordan does have dozens of plot lines moving at once, as opposed to the typical handful most fantasy writers use.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
You simply must read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series, starting with The Shadow of the Torturer. Some of the best writing I have ever encountered in any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread