Just finished reading LOTR....I need a new book!..recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Mar 9, 2002.

1. I am usually not a big reader, but got hooked on LOTR (I actally finished 1 book in 1.5weeks!) and hence have a reading craving. I can't rememeber that many books that I have read, but here are a few to give you an idea of the ones I have liked so far.
    Day of the Cheeta
    Dragon Lance: Twins triligy/chronicals triligy
    All quiet on the western front
    montana 1984 (?)
    HELP!....I need a good book to take me away from this world for a little bit each day! [​IMG]
  2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Dec 30, 2001
    I totally agree with you on All Quiet, what an amazing, haunting book that was. I'm working on month number four on LOTR, it baffles the mind to think of anybody reading it in 1.5 weeks! I would reccomend To Kill A Mockingbird if you haven't already read it. That, All Quiet, and LOTR are my top three books of all time. Also, anything by John Steinbeck, I especially loved Cannery Row.
  3. ..not the WHOL book in 3 weeks. Just the second volume!...Two Towers. Good lord..all 3 in 1.5 weeks..that would be too fast=)

I have read To kill A mocking bird a long time ago...well..HAD to read it for class..which can take away some enjoyment especially during the youthfull years when you rebel against reading. Perhaps I should have another look into Boo Ridly!
  4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Jul 28, 2001
    A couple of books I have read-recently and would whole-heartedly recommend to anyone:
    John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath
    Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle (this should sooooo be a movie)
    Pierre Boulle - Planet of the Apes
    Reinaldo Arenas - Before Night Falls
    and Dante - The Divine Comedy (Only kidding [​IMG]. Bit of a tough read that one.)
  5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001
    Listing 1984 and LOTR implies you may have an interest in sci-fi and fantasy. In that case, I'll recommend the following:

Isaac Asimov:

Robot novels

Foundation trilogy

Empire trilogy

Ray Bradbury:

Illustrated Man (short stories)

Farenheit 451

Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth series- IMO, the best modern fantasy books around. Start with Wizard's First Rule.

If you're into War novels, definitely check out Faulkner.

Also, I've been reading Gore Vidal a lot lately. Historical fiction stuff- very unique, very interesting. I have read Empire, Burr, and Julian. I recommend Burr to start with.
  6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Feb 27, 2001
    Rich Travale
    Check out "The Death Gate Cycle" written by Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman. It is a seven book series that can be read as a series or as stand-alone books*(they did this amazingly well I thought). The first book is called Dragonwing. Then Elvenstar, Firesea, The Serpent Mage, The Hand of Chaos, Into the Labrynth and finally, The Seventh Gate. *While the first four are good as stand alones, the final three must be read to "finish" the story. Man, I've just talked myself into reading them again [​IMG] .
  7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Nov 3, 2000
    my favorite books (that you haven't read already):
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Dec 28, 1998
    If you are interested in reading additional literature in the fantasy vein, then I would recommend Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever. The series consists of two trilogies of novels...
    The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    Lord Foul's Bane
    The Illearth War
    The Power That Preserves
    The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
    The Wounded Land
    The One Tree
    White Gold Wielder
    Two things to note about these series.
    1. The main character is very much an anti-hero. Some folks tend to dislike the novels because of the unlikeable nature of the protagonist. I, on the other hand, think that Covenant is one of the most interesting characters in fantasy literature.
    2. The singular achievement of these novels is the creation of The Land. Donaldson's ability to create this palpable, vital reality is the real key to the success of these novels and is unparalleled in fantasy literature. ( IMHO, of course. [​IMG] )
    Another set of novels by Donaldson that you might consider is the two part series -
    Mordant's Need
    The Mirror of Her Dreams
    A Man Rides Through
    These works are more 'conventional' in their trappings compared to his Thomas Covenant novels, but are still fun reads that were very effective for me.
    - Walter.
  9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999
    I find Kurt Vonnegut to be an awesome, but often overlooked author.
    He is a bit of a satirist, which I think is missed by many as he is primarily known as a Sci-Fi writer. However, I personally feel his work has more in common with Mark Twain than Isaac Asimov. He has a snide sense of humor, and an obvious love/hate relationship with makind (he seems to have a soft spot for humanity, but a distrust for individual humans).
    He has had several best sellers over the years-- one of his more widely known books is the (relatively straightforward, at least for him) Slaughterhouse Five.
    Some of his books have been made into movies, namely Mother Night, Welcome to the Monkey House, Slapstick, Slaughterhouse-Five and recently Breakfast of Champions.
    Some of his other books have also been quite popular:
    Cat's Cradle
    Hocus Pocus
    I'm also a big fan of some of his more obscure books like Sirens of Titan and the excellent Jailbird.
    He's certainly not a "fantasy" writer- but if you like a little wry wit and sarcasm rolled into science fiction-esque stories about fate and the nature of mankind... which are all winking satire of the human condition... Vonnegut is simply a genius.
    PS: Some might remember Vonnegut as part of one of the funnier jokes in the film "Back to School". Thornton Melon (Dangerfield) hired Vonnegut to write an essay on the works of Kurt Vonnegut, the paper received an F and Dangerfield's teacher says that the person who wrote the paper obviously knew nothing about Vonnegut...
    PSS: Others might remember Vonegut as part of an accidental internet hoax a few yers back.
    An email message began making the rounds featuring the text of a "commencement speech" purportedly given by Vonnegut at MIT. It was clever, poignant, full of the kind of arch-cynical humor Vonnegut is famous for. It was actually from a newspaper column by Mary Schmich of the Chicago Tribune.
    It was titled "Wear sunscreen" and was later made into a "song" by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge, Strictly Ballroom) voiced by Lee Perry.

10. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Feb 29, 2000
    Completely have to second To Kill A Mockingbird. A wonderful book as well as movie.
    Also you should check out anything by Cormac McCarthy. He's very Faulkneresque, but a lot easier to digest. Anything by him is good, but Blood Meridian is probably your best first bet.
  11. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

Jun 9, 2000
    I would highly recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The first book, The Eye of the World, is one of my favorites in the fantasy genre. He just has such a rich world and wonderful characters. It's just Tolkien-esque, but in my opinion a little more concise than Tolkien writes. I think he's a little verbose, myself.
    Even if you don't read all 9 (so far) books, The Eye of the World is worth it by itself.
  12. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Feb 17, 2001

The Sparrow (Mary Doria Russell)

The Children of God (Mary Doria Russell)
  13. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Jul 17, 2000
    David Eddings writes some very good fantasy novels. I particularly enjoyed The Elenium Trilogy:-
    The Diamond Throne
    The Ruby Knight
    The Saphire Rose
    You're always welcome to ask at my book forum website [​IMG]
  14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Dec 1, 2000
    I suggest H.P. Lovecraft. Start with the collection of stories entitled "The Best of HP Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" published by Del Ray.
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die."
  15. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Jul 9, 2001
    He has a series called A Song of Ice and Fire. It is AMAZING. It is by far the best series I've read since LOTR! The only problem is that the series is not yet finished. I highly recommend you pick up the first book A Game of Thrones . TRUST ME.
    Other than that,
    Anne Rice, Vampire Cronicles
    Frank Herbert, Dune
    Have fun,
  16. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Sep 6, 2000
    Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash"...I'm reading it again for the second time and I'm bursting out in laughter with all the cool ideas and funny ironies (and amazement at how much of it has already come true). Science fiction. Pizza delivery service run by the mob, aircraft carriers, MMORPGs, hackers, samurai sword-fighting, skater-punk couriers that harpoon themselves to vehicles, suburban walled enclaves, bimbo boxes (mini-vans), rock stars, privatized police forces (A corporate disclaimer is read out to you during your arrest!) that you can legally bribe with VISA/Mastercard/American Express...more fun than you can shake a memory stick at!
    Iain Banks' "The Bridge". A stunning half-fantasy, half-fiction work of art. Surprisingly emotional, and so well-crafted that you continue to suffer revelation after revelation hours after you finished the last page. And then it hits you in the gut, bowls you over, and leaves you in the dust. I'm willing to bet my life that, in a hundred years, this singular work will be considered one of the greatest novels ever written, sharing the list with Lord of the Rings, War and Peace, and so on and so forth. This book, seeing as it was originally published in Britain/Scotland, may be very difficult to find in the United States. And that is almost a crime against humanity.
    Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles. Good, light fantasy reading. Cool twists and turns, filled with fun characters. Plain old-fashioned fantasy fun, written during the first Golden Age of fantasy (late 60's, early 70's). Think of it as Harry Potter for adults!
    Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game", considered a classic piece of science fiction, about a gifted child thrown into a xenocidal war. And of course, most of his struggles are with his jealous older companions he must train with. A great introduction to science fiction, and whets the appetite for the beginning sci-fi reader.
    Joan D. Vinge's "The Snow Queen" and the followup, "The Summer Queen", are superb retellings of the original Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, in a science fiction setting. Far future, humanity has entered a dark age, and much of its space-travelling technology is lost. The planet Tiamat is ruled by The Snow Queen, who controls the production of the Water of Life, which grants the users near-immortality. But when the stargate that links her world to the outside worlds closes, her world custom is to kill the queen and allow a new queen to rule in her place for the next few hundred years until the gate opens again. To break the cycle, she secretly clones herself...but what if the Queen changes her mind? And if they fall for the same man...
    And of course, there is David Wingrove's "Chung Kuo" series, beginning with "Chung Kuo: The Middle Kingdom". Not for the faint of heart, as it is a metaphor for man's worst and best natures. Set in a future world, where China dominates the Earth, and uses its tyranny based on the principles set forth by the first emperor of China (the T'ang Dynasty) to cow the populace into submission. But now the world population has hit 40 billion, and the world is at the brink of war...a war waged against humanity, by humanity. A complex futuristic political thriller, with a cast of literally hundreds of characters. Yet, each character is completely realized, with desires, needs, and vulnerabilities. The good guys are the bad guys, and the bad guys are the good guys. Or is it the other way around? Wingrove captures the ancient Chinese culture so perfectly, and writes so fluidly and with grace, that you'd swear this is a retelling of Chinese history by a wise Chinese scholar. The brutality of the series is unmatched in any work of fiction that I know...not anything like the cheap gorefests you find in lesser horror novels. Each incident of torture and death are at such a personal level, that you find yourself emotionally closing off, as what you would do if you had to contemplate the death of a loved one. Death has consequences, and they are not pleasant. And the ghosts haunt you as you read. This book is not for the squeamish. But, as a character study of humanity, a must-read in the post-9/11 era. (Warning: The terrorist acts as depicted in this series are chillingly close to life. The motivations of both "sides" in the book are a perfect mirror of those expressed in today's world. And for once, I am afraid.)
  17. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jun 12, 1999
    Franks Herbert's "Dune" series...... another world, another time, another place......
  18. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Oct 20, 1999
    I'll have to second George R.R. Martin's "Song Of Fire and Ice" series. I'm not a big fantasy fan, but the three books currently out in the Fire and Ice series are excellent reading. Be prepared however, these are much more 'adult' than LOTR.
  19. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Dec 14, 2000
    Lots of good suggestions already. I'll add Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy.
    The Golden Compass
    The Subtle Knife
    The Amber Spyglass
    A truly wonderful creation of a different world that's as thought provoking and imaginative as it is entertaining.
  20. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Oct 27, 2001

Fahrenheit 451

Heart of Darkness

To Kill a Mockingbird