1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Just finished my second row RISER!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shawn Keeler, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I just finished my second row riser! Check it out at my website listed above and tell me what you think. I would love to hear your input. I also planning on a concession stand and would love to see some other examples.

2. Matt Cwieka

Matt Cwieka Auditioning

good job! that looks awesome [​IMG]

3. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Looks great, I love your setup.

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Nice job, Shawn. What material(s) did you use for the decking on the riser?

Lighting question-- It's kinda hard to see in the pictures. Did you use just a single ropelight under the lip of the riser? One picture looks like you have lighting coming from under the riser-- like it's floating (right_side_riser_light_2_la.jpg).

5. Shawn Keeler

Thanks!!! I used two layers of 3/4" Plywood sandwiched together for the decking floor. I used rope lighting around the underside lip. It was kind of funny. I looked at the unfinished riser during construction and guessed that I need about 24'of rope light. I went to Home Depot got the rope light, installed it, and had literally two inches extra!!! So Lucky!! I installed a dimmer on them so you can adjust the light output during movies or intermissions. I can't remember the brand name of the dimmer. I will have to check the package and ad to the post later, but anyway I got that dimmer with remote a remote control at Home Depot for $19.95. A great deal for controling accessory lighting. And it is two zone capable.

6. Tom Jr

Tom Jr Extra

Very nice!

I have a couple questions:

- How did you get power to the riser for the rope lighting? I didn't see anything obvious in the pictures.

- Did you rip up carpet and fasten the riser to the floor, or is it simply sitting on the carpet?

- Are your 2nd row chairs fastened to the riser? Do you have concerns about them falling off (I suppose that would require pretty violent movie watching, but you never know)?

Tom

7. Shawn Keeler

I have a couple of answers then.

--First, Power to the riser. I ran the power cable under the carpet and pad with a fish tape. Totaly a piece of cake. I ran the cable and hooked up the power in about 15 minutes.
    --Second, Fastened to the floor? I would of like to have the riser fastened to the floor, but it just wasn't justifiable. We are looking at building a new house within the next year, and I didn't want to to totally destroy the carpet for resale purposes. Now that I think about it though, I will probably am going to try to sell the set up with the house and start over in the new house.
    --Third, Seats Fastened? The seats are also not fastened down. To my surprise they are very solid. It would take a great deal to move them. It took to of us just to lift them up there.
    Shawn

8. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

Nicely done!

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Great job. You have one of my favorite theaters. Just simple neat, and comfy looking. Excellent.

Where did you get your theater chairs from? Are they Berklines?

10. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Mmmmm ... Creamy....

- JS

11. Shawn Keeler

Yes, they are Berkline 099 Series Seats. I got them at Nebraska Furniture Mart here in Omaha. They have a few of them on display in their theater set up, but of course they don't stock them so you have to order them. Only took about six weeks to get them.

12. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Shawn,

As I had stated in a previous post...I like the style and clean lines of your theater. Truly an attractive set up!
    It is cool how the illuminated risers make the Berklines seem to "float on air"...I have the same effect on my riser also!

13. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Here are some pictures of concession stands that I have collected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]