Just dumped my Kenwood what next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh W Pollack, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Josh W Pollack

Josh W Pollack Auditioning

Like it says my first reciver is no more and right now I am looking into denon 3803, and a Rotel- but its a little high on my price range ($1200). Anyone have a good site where I can get receivers for a nice price?

For a price range, I am Ok with spending $800-1000 on the receiver, but I am not going to get the separates for a year or more. However, the receiver must have preouts so I can upgrade later.

This is kind of off topic, but my current speakers suck, so they will be the next thing to upgrade. I want to make sure that my reciver will be more then adiquit for higher end speakers (the kenwood was not to great).

As for speakers, I am looking into Paradigm's line. I have family in Canada and have often heard about good deals there... ie 20%off MSRP + the good exchange rate, and I can get the tax back when I cross the border.

Right now the paradigms look like the only alternative to the B&Ws (which I love), but the more I look at them the more I think they might not be a good fit. Not only are the speakers expensive, but the stands are also costly and for the price I might be getting more for my money if I take a serious look at paradigm. If I spend $2500 on paradigm I'll get a entire set of speakers in the moniter series, while if I go B&W i can only get the front channels setup from CDM-line and a surround channel.

Anyone a fan of the monitor series? If so which do you like the best? Whats your favorite reciver with the paridim speakers?

I was talking to a friend and he said that SVS makes very good subs....

Nonetheless, any input?

2. Josh W Pollack

Josh W Pollack Auditioning

Please help....

3. mike_doyle

mike_doyle Agent

Paradigm make excellent speakers. For your price range you could get a very nice set of paradigms. I have the CC 350 (now 370) ADP 170 surrounds and 3SE fronts ( older version of monitor 5's. I am considering the Denon 1803 or H/K AVR 320 to replace my technics receiver as it does not do these speakers justice.

Denon receivers matched with paradigm speakers make an excellent combination. You may even be able to get all paradigm reference speakers for your price point.

4. noahG

noahG Agent

If you're looking at rotel, see if you can find a dealer who will make you a deal on an rsx-972. This is the model that was just replaced, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but what it can decode, it does extremely well. It was retailing for about $1000 down from $1300 but you might be able to get a good deal if you find a dealer just looking to clear out his inventory. Also, the 5 year parts and labor warrantee on the Rotel doesn't hurt.

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I have the studio 40's with the Pioneer 45 TX. I think its is in your price range and I'm very satisfied with this unit.

Mike

6. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

for the receiver check out etronics.com. i just found this site the other day and it has great prices! look at one of the pioneer elite recivers, certainly one of the best out there, as for the paradigms, also look at psb, energy and axiom. all great speakers. if you want to get a great reciver and just get some new speakers until you get really good ones, have a look at fluance speakers, on ebay you can pick the entire package up for around 199.00. good sound until you get some more money and get serious speakers.

7. Peter Donovan

Paradigm speakers are a fantasic value, and are quite effcient, so any receiver should have no problem pushing them.

As far as a receiver, I'd look at the Marantz SR-7300 or SR-6300, NAD T-742 or a similar price Harman Kardon unit. All three brands will sound good with music.

8. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I like Noah's suggestion about the Rotel RSX-972. It's a great receiver in its own right and would make a fine preamp should you decide to add amplification later. There are still plenty of new models around and the prices are dropping.

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Josh,

If you spend $2500US/$3800CDN, you should get an entire set in the Paradigm Reference. Personally I got Paradigm Mini Monitors(F/R), CC-350, PS1000 for $1500CDN+tx. As far as receivers go pick those up in the States. Prices tend to be alot cheaper. I've powered my speakers with Yamaha, Denon and now MarantzAV560U/Rotel RMB-1066 combo. Sound is awesome.

Kevin