What's new

Just curious... (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm just curious about why people feel the need to paste annoying quotes in their messages. Do they think we're not READING threads? are we completely oblivious to the discussion at hand?
Example:
----------------
annoying quote here that may last for several lines
----------------
response to quote 1 or two posts earlier, as well as this one.
----------------
you guessed it, another annoying quote.
----------------
response to quote again.
If it was me that posted the origional then I KNOW what I said. If I wasn't, I should be up to date on the conversation. In person, isn't it considered rude to jump into a conversation without being there to hear what was already said/agreed on? In my experience, this is bad nettiquette. Am I wrong?
Again, just curious. :)
(oh, and I know what your responses are going to look like too! - and in advance I remark --- "Cute!")
------------------
McPaul.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Paul,
Since there can be multiple discussion going on simultaneously, I think most of it find it as a way to clarify what is being discussed. I find it more annoying that people post replies with no reference as to what they are talking about.
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If the quotes are kept short n' sweet,
then they actually do help refresh a reader's
memory -- especially if the reply comes a few
posts later.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Do they think we're not READING threads? are we completely oblivious to the discussion at hand?
Yes, and quite often!
You see many contributions to threads that include information already posted, maybe more than once.
I find the the copy and paste method useful and to the point. Sort of like being in a Perry Mason episode, "Would the court reporter read back that statement."
Jim

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If it was me that posted the origional then I KNOW what I said. If I wasn't, I should be up to date on the conversation.
More power to you, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't follow those simple guidelines.
BTW, the above is a good example of why short quotations are useful. If I left out the quotation, I'd have to restate your thought in order to make sense of my reply. Would you rather have your thought represented by your own words or someone's restatement of them?
M.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"...and I know what your responses are going to look like too!"
We couldn't stop ourselves.
blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks