1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Just curious, are they any better bipolar speakers than Definitive's??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I have not seen or heard of any other bipolars other the much applauded Def Tech line. Anyone know of any that have maybe better build quality ect..???

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Mirage has a whole series of nice models.
    Eosone was sold at Best Buy a couple of years ago. I don't know what happened to them, they don't seem to be around anymore.
    NHT has a set as well...
    http://nhthifi.com/home_product.asp?subjectid=8
    There are many more, I'm sure.
    - CM

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Not necessarily better, but they exist.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I agree with Colin..."better" would be a matter of taste [​IMG]
    As for different bipolars...I believe that manufacturers such as Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, NHT, Von Schweikert, etc. have all had models which incorporated rear firing drivers.

5. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

From what I was told by a dealer, the paradigms can be wired to be bipolar instead of dipolar. I may do that if I buy the paradigms as it is very hard to find definitives here in Edmonton.

6. John*S

John*S Agent

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is only a perception of what I've read and only that so you can take this with a huge grain of salt.

It seems that Mirages are highly touted as the best bi polars around and many audiophiles use them or have used them. I've yet to see any of the other bi polar speakers used by these types. I've also not seen any decent reviews of Def Tech or the others as of late. Like I said this is a perception.

Now from my experience Mirages > Def Tech. Mirages are brighter(depends on your taste) but they image like no other speaker i've heard under $2k. FWIW, I've heard the powered towers of the Def Tech line(setup in a house properly for that matter) and Mirages and it wasn't even close. On Home theater this might be a smaller margin but for music it was not even close.

The only knock against them maybe that they are huge speakers and demand attention. This also is a personal taste.

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

M&K, Sonance, Polk Audio, Aerial Acoustics, Atlantic Technology, Canton, Jamo, JBL (Synthesis line), Mordaunt-Short and B&W, to name a few... [​IMG]
    I think some of the more higher end dipolar/bipolar speakers may be better just based on the namesake. I haven't heard any but the Aerial Acoustics SR3s.
    Troy

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

If someone is finding the DT powered towers to be very amusical, then almost certainly there is a deficiency in placement and/or matching of associated equipment. And of course, bipolar powered towers will just not work so well in certain rooms (particularly smaller rooms). As for comparing Mirage to DT...I do not think there is a clear cut consensus. Both DT and Mirage have been well reviewed by industry professionals and enthusiasts. I have seen some people prefer Mirage over DT, and I have seen other people prefer DT over Mirage. I prefer my DT bp2000TL's to the sound I have heard from the more expensive Mirage OM5's...for both music and movies...but of course, this is a preference thing...and I have not extensively auditioned both speakers in a familiar environment...which is also probably true about most people who much prefer Mirage to DT. But one thing which I do feel is that DT generally offers a bit better bang for the buck HT speakers than Mirage...just my humble opinion though.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I also think that all panel/electrostatic speakers are bipolar. This would include Magnapan, Martin Logan, et.al.

11. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Actually, planar-magnetic and electrostats are dipoles. If the panel is moving out with repsect to you, then it's moving in with respect to the wall behind it; no way around that....

12. John Morris

John Morris Guest

As for bi-polars, I like the old Mirage M-Xsi series the best. Of course, I let my wallet follow my ears, and that's what I currently have. Recently, I went shopping to see if I liked any newer speakers better and I found alot that I also liked. Over the past month, I have been dealing to try and get a pair of Aerial 10Ts for less than $3K and then, I spoke to a local dealer who said he had a customer who had an old set of Mirage M-1si speakers he might be willing to sell. I called the guy, and on Sat night I went over for a listen.

HOLY COW! I have to have them... I had forgotten how much better these speakers sounded than my current M-3si speakers. Although I obviously couldn't A/B these with the 10Ts, I think I preferred the M1s. He also was driving them with superior electronics than mine, so that also might have played a factor. Still, these imaged incrdibly. I could close my eyes and then reach out and touch each performer with only a single finger... the artists were that palpable. And the bass, was fast, deep and crushing! I definately would not need a subwoofer for music listening with these... well, maybe not? Anyway, I am negotiating with this guy and we'll see what happens...

So, my opinion on bi-polars(that I've tested) for music are:

1. Mirage M-1si with M-3si in second place.

2. Mirage 1090i

3. Def Techs without onboard power

4. Both Mirage and Def Techs with powered onboard subs

13. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"M&K, Sonance, Polk Audio, Aerial Acoustics, Atlantic Technology, Canton, Jamo, JBL (Synthesis line), Mordaunt-Short and B&W, to name a few.."

Canton? Other than their surround speakers (Ergo R-52 dipole, THX S10 dipole), which Cantons are dipolar or bipolar?

Michael

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- Cool. I also prefer the sound of the un-powered DT's over the ones that include powered subs. Ergo: I have a set a BP-30's that I like quite nicely for the fronts.

Know what I would like to see?

A slightly higher end set of Def Tech's, the same as now, but with time and phase correctness like Vandersteen, Dunlavy, etc.

15. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Kevin, I think DT should also consider designing a speaker which can be used as both a bipolar speaker and a direct radiating speaker [​IMG]

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob and John- I'll one up y'all even more:
    Bipole, *dipole*, or direct radiator.
    I have BP-30's up front; probably keep those bipolar. But I also have BP-20's in the back. Dipole would probably be best for them. Oooh: maybe someone should write Def Tech a letter (or an email or something...). [​IMG]

18. John H

John H Second Unit

19. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Michael,

I 'assumed' :b that the thread was talking about surround speakers! Ooops. But you're right, Canton's only dipole/bipole speakers are the surrounds you listed.

Those other speaker brands I listed also was in reference to surround speakers.

Sorry all!

Troy

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John H: Actually, theoretically, you're right! [​IMG]
    I think the BP-20's are bi-wireable (been a while since I've had to look), and I would just have to reverse the leads.
    I suppose I would have to know which was which (maybe they're labelled, woofers and tweeters).
    But then you also raise the question of whether that would even work. I.e., the *rest* of how the particular speaker is designed. Might be good for an experiment someday...