Just curious about a possible Bryston set up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob Wallenberg, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Rob Wallenberg

Hi everyone i was wondering if i could use the zone 2 feature on my denon 2803 to run an old bryston 3b i have kicking around. Please someone let me know if im retarded. But my plan was to use my denon and paradigm monitor 11's for home theater and then maybe use the bryston for stereo use. I mean is this even possible and is there a way to hook up both my reciever and my amp up to the monitors at the same time with haveing to go back behind the tv and switch the conections everytime i want to switch from home theater mode to stereo mode?

Also this Bryston is pretty powerfull would i run the risk of hurting the monitors if i did this?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Ummm, if you have pre-amp outputs on that receiver (I am almost sure you do) - you can BYPASS the left and right amp in the Denon and use the Bryston ALL THE TIME.

The speakers you have are more than deserving of that amp, USE IT!!! No way you will hurt the speakers with that amp - actually, the speakers will be much SAFER at high-levels because the amp can control the speakers better.

3. Rob Wallenberg

How would i bypass the denons amps and still use 5.1 and does it matter that the bryston is as older than me (Im 22 by the way)? My old man gave that bryston to me, he claims he sent it in to bryston in the late 80's and had it rebuilt.

4. Kenneth Harden

If you have preamp outs, you use those going to the amp, and you do not use the Denon L and R amp.

It would work in 5.1 or 2-channel listening.

Age does not matter.

My 'big' speakers were built when I was 5 years old!

5. Rob Wallenberg

Do you think that would sound ok due to the fact that the denon is rated at 90 wattes and the bryston at 100 wattes

6. Kenneth Harden

The Bryston, in reality, will have FAR, FAR more output than the Denon. The amount of current and peak output in the Bryston is VASTLY greater than a receiver will have.

The amp being more powerful does not make any difference.

You do know about Bryston as a company? They make some of the most well respected amps on the market (at ANY price) - they are VERY desirable and well-liked.

7. Rob Wallenberg

Yes i was aware of bryston ive used the amp before and its just stupid the ammount of sound that be produced from that 40 pound chunk of metal. I was just a little concerned with the system sounding lop-sided with the bryston powering the main speakers. Thanks alot for your advice man.

Im not sure if you anwsered my question or not about the lop-sided sound so i respectfully ask it again. Pease keep in mind im very new to the HT game.

8. Rob Wallenberg

Does anyone know if can run the bryston just for stereo. Would i be able to run speaker wires from my bryston to the monitors and wire from my denon to the monitors. Would that work? Im afraid that the using the bryston for home theater might sound kinda funny

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kenneth answered that one for you in his first post. You can use the Denon’s L/R- output jacks. They’re next to the sub and center out, labeled “Front.” Connect those jacks to your Bryston, and then the speakers to the Bryston.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

You can use a sound level meter and the 2803's test tones to calibrate the "channel level" of the 2803 to make the play back between the different channels (the front L&R via the Bryston) equal.

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rob

If you are asking if you can connect both the receiver and the Bryston to the same speakers the answer is no. You would ruin your equipment.

There is absolutely no reason not to use the Bryston both for music and home theater. It would not sound funny.

I use a 425 watt per channel Citation power amp for my main L&R speakers and my receivers amps for the center and surrounds and there is absolutely no problem with this kind of arrangement.

Artie

12. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

It will not sound lop-sided at all. Just balance the output as Shiu said and you should be fine. I use the 4b-st and 5b-st. 4b for L/R and 5b for center and surround. There is more power to the L/R but it still sounds balanced. Hook it up. There is no going back [​IMG]
    Mike D