Just checking to see if there are any tv's i'm missing here...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Strasz, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

So I've been researching through the various brands of HDTV's over the past couple of months and got a general feel for what I was liking.
    While I was originally leaning towards the Toshiba HDX series, I ended up straying away due to the upconversion issue. My choice thus far is the pioneer SD533HD5.
    This is probably going to get a wide array of answers, but I just wanted to see if there were any TV's out there that I was missing that fulfilled the qualifications I was looking for:
    - No upconversion of a 480 signal
    - Great Stretch modes
    - Great Line Doubler/Image quality on standard feed
    - Great HD image quality.
    - Reliable
    - Available in 50-53"
    - Under $3K
    Bonus Requirements I had that weren't required but nonetheless nice
    - Great image out of the box *or* after tweaking with AVIA (can't afford an ISF for a while)
    - DVI input (the pioneer I realize doesn't have this)
    - Able to take 720 signal, even if it upconverts (I realize pioneer doesn't take this either)
    I ruled out Hitachi's cause of their stretch mode. I didn't like it much. Plus I'm not too keen on the upconversion even if it is better than Toshiba's (this is debatable).
    I never really researched panasonics, sony's, samsung's, or mitsubishi's. The reason I leaned away from those sets is because I never really heard an abundance of people boasting these sets in regards to the requirements I was looking for.
    However, I did hear a lot of good things about the SD533HD5 in those categories. So now I'm just curious if there are any sets I'm "missing out" on or overlooking that fulfill a lot of the stuff I'm looking for. Add your 2 cents [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Chris Strasz

Chris Strasz Stunt Coordinator

Bump. Anyone have any other recommendations or is this a good final decision?

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You've already made an excellent choice, maybe nobody wants to get ya all confused!

With the exception of lacking DVI the Pioneer meets all your requirements at least as well as and probably better than most anything else out there.