What's new

Just came back from seeing/buying new Sony rear-projection LCD (1 Viewer)

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
So, for the first time ever Canada got a product before the US did. The new 42 inch rear-projection LCD Wega came into a local shop last night, and I went in today and had the guy unpack one of the three they got in so I could take a look at it.

He set it up right between a Samsung DLP which I was also considering and last year's 50" rear projection LCD Wega XBR (the new one isn't an XBR; XBRs will only come in 60" and 70" this year).

I was absolutely blown away. The picture quality was better than either of the other two sets, easily. Looked at all of them on multiple sources, including Bell XpressVu (Sat), Rogers Digital Cable, and a few DVDs. For every single one, the new Wega blew away the other two, and they weren't really old floor models or anything (been out there a couple months). Black levels, colours, everything.

Anyway, to sum up, I threw down the money for the 50" right away, which should arrive in under 2 weeks. Pretty stoked, upgrading from an old Hitachi NX-7 (which I've had for probably 10 years, and still looks about as good as any non-high def tube on the market).

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
The 42" was MSRP $4000 CAD, 50" MSRP $5000 CAD.

I should also mention that in the time I was in the store, every single person who walked in immediately began asking questions about the set and was impressed by it, and I believe they sold the other 2.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that set today at the Sony store and oohed and aahed. It looked as good as the 23 inch (I think it was) LCD sitting above it that cost about $8500. I was surprised at how low the price was - $3999.

ChrisRk

Auditioning
Do you know the model numbers for this new line of LCD Grand Wegas? And do you have any idea when they're coming out in the US?

I've been looking pretty seriously at the current Sony 60" Grand Wega (KF-60XBR800), the Hitachi 60" LCD (60V500), and the Samsung 61" DLP (HLN617W). But if Sony is coming out soon with a new line of Grand Wega LCDs, that would definitely factor in to my decision.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
The non-XBRs are the KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610. The XBRs are KF-60XBR950 and KF-70XBR950 I believe. They should be in the US by now (the WE610s).

Glad someone else saw this set and was impressed :)

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I just saw this unit today as well and was impressed with the quality!!
OUTSTANDING!!
It was the best image I have seen to date.
They also had the 42" LCD non projection at $13,000 and it didn't hold a candle to the 42" Rear Projection LCD.
Hard to believe it was only $4,000.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Onecall has the 50" KF-50WE610 listed for $3299. Hitachi also has a 50" LC Rear-projectoin set out at that price.

I've been waiting to hear some news about the 50" RCA Scenium DLP. It lists for $4000 so i'm hoping to see it street for under $3000. It comes w/ a built in HD tuner and broadband web-browser. Regardless of RCA/Thompsons bad track record, I think they're starting to turn things around. My current 52" D52W20 HDTV is great, and I was able to get it for under $1300 from Sears w/ several discounts. I don't think I could have done better for the money :) The 50" RCA DLP may be my segway into non-crt TV if it turns out to be as great as it looks on paper.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
The new Sony 42" LCD is sweet looking. I've seen it a few times now at CC and BestBuy, both times it has impressed.

I was set on getting a Sammy DLP around Christmas but now I may go for the 42" Sony.

Very sharp colorful picture yet it has the reliable TV look to it while the Sammy's can look too sharp at times.

My 50" Sony LCD arrives this Wednesday. I ordered from OneCall for $2844 delivered. Just call up and ask for 10% off, free shipping, and use the $125 Holiday Coupon (Holiday03). For $99 more I got the 2 year extended warranty.

If you're a OneCall Pass Member you'll save an additional 1% on your total purchase and 10% on the warranty. Not too bad.

I'm replacing the new Hitachi 50V500 50" LCD RPTV of which I had to have two delivered due to defect. Both had problems with a piece of foam partially obstructing the point of LCD projection producing dark corners. The last straw came when the Hitachi just didn't want to come on sometimes even though it had been powered off for hours (lamp temp.).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I saw the 42 inch Sony at CC the other day and really liked it. I would really like to see their 50, 60 and 70 inch models.

Stephen:

I am interested in seeing the RCA too. It it using the Infocus DLP engine it should really nice. I just haven't been able to find anyone that has it. Even TV Authority has it listed as something that has to be ordered and no price is given.

What I have gotten down to though is seeing what they all look like with SDTV as well as DVD and HDTV. Since I am still in the dark ages with a standard cable feed the picture has got to look good with that until I can upgrade to HDTV.

Parker

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy had the 42 inch Sony on for $3599 last week, but it was back to $3999 this week. Perhaps they are price matching.

It's been more than two weeks. I can hardly wait for Phil's report.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh! Someone has revived the thread... I guess I should give my impressions of the set.
Warning: I am no video analyst =)

I couldn't be happier with this set. The picture quality is really outstanding, colours seem very accurate, and the cabinet size etc is great. I can't believe I was thinking about buying a 40XBR800 6 months ago. Thank god I waited. 300 lbs and 4:3 would have made me a sad camper when I saw this set. On some of the better high def material (like Leno), it honestly looks like he's standing in the room sometimes. I tried tweaking the settings, but couldnt really get myself any happier than what it was out of the box - so I'm back on the defaults. I ordered DVE and it should arrive soon, so maybe that will allow for some more technical tweaking.

DVDs look very good (using a Pioneer 563-A)... Pretty much everyone I know who has came in and seen the set says it's the best looking TV they've ever seen. That made me feel pretty good =D.

A big part of why I bought the TV was for games, so one of the first things I did was hook up F-Zero GX in progressive widescreen. I've heard complaints about ghosting on LCD based sets before, so figured the fastest racing game ever made would be a good test bed. To my eyes, there was none - the game was absolutely beautiful and silky smooth.

As far as negatives for the set... the vertical viewing angle is not that good (which doesn't matter to me), but the horizontal one is much better. I'm not a fan at all of the remote, again irrelevant to me as I use a universal. I vaguely wish there were more than 2 component inputs, but that's a problem with any set.

On a side note, 3 or 4 days ago I went into the store where I bought the set, to be greeted by the new 70XBR950. IMO, the picture quality didn't look better than a 50WE610 - but there is a huge size difference so it's not really a fair comparison. The cabinet is also a much nicer design, not that I don't like the 610's... it's just a bit austere.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, so fire away.

Diana M

Agent
Hi Phil

Thanks for your review, I haven't seen the new GWIII yet, but I'm really interested in it

What store did you see the new XBR950 in, and how much was it for the 70 inch model?

Diana

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Phil - Is that base on the sony a swivel? If not, I'm not sure its purpose.

Best Buy had the 42 inch Sony on for $3599 last week, but it was back to $3999 this week. Perhaps they are price matching.
Thats a lot. Circuit City is listing the 42" at $2699 and the 50" at $3199.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, I'm pretty sure WayneG is a Canadian like myself, as the 42" is MSRP $3999.99 here. As for the base (on the 610), it is not a swivel. It's just a bigger footprint to add stability, I'd imagine. The memory stick slot is also hidden in the indentation above the base (still on the dark grey plastic), as are the front inputs.

Diana, just a local electronics shop, and it was $11999.99 for the 70" XBR.

The Canadian MSRPs are as follows:
42WE610 $3999.99
50WE610 $4999.99
60WE610 $5999.99
60XBR950 $8999.99
70XBR950 $11999.99

I think there's some good deals to be had on these sets though, I got a decent one on mine.

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
Bbuy has it for 2799, 50" for 3299. Haggle a 'lil bit and get a great price from a brick and mortar!

~josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.