Just Called HarmanK - Someone explain this to me Please!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobP, Feb 20, 2002.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I have the AVR-520. I have recently noticed as I'm sure many of you have that the bass is noticibily weaker on the DTS tracks. Well The Tech guy said this is because Dts records there LFE track 16 db lower than Dolby does. So I asked him, "So DTS has weaker bass." He then told me that what most people do is turn there speakers down to -6db and turn there subs up to +10db to compensate. Well the fact is cranking up the sub, does not adjust the LFE level, it just cranks up the sub! And while it will sound better it doesnt fix the problem. He told me that you cant turn up the setting on lfe track and that all company's recievers are the same. He says that these are just the chips DTS is sending out and there nothing to do about it. Well I know this is a bunch of BS because my $250 Kenwood sounded just fine on DTS.

I swear between this and my remote braking, I also have this bug were my unit wont recognize a handful of dolby tracks and I have to manually set it. I think this is the last HK I"ll be buying. Its sad too cause besides the couple problems this reciever does have I really like it.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sounds like bass management isn't happening for DTS sources. He's definitely giving you a bullcrap answer. Maybe you have to set bass management separatesly with dts?

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

4. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

I have an AVR 300 and DTS, DD, DPL, etc. all have their own separate settings and need to be calibrated individually. I didn't know this either until my first DTS movie and it sounded terrible. Out came the spl meter again and voila'. I found with mine the DTS volumes louder than DD especially in the lfe channel.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

6. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

RobP,

I think your assumptions are pretty much correct regarding the boost. However, the channel levels are, in my understanding, relative to each other. Even assuming that there is no -16db (or -10db depending on who you talk to at HK), it doesn't necessarily mean that the channel balances are correct when they are all set to zero. Using test tones from Avia or Video Essentials, you're still going to have to adjust individual channels--including the LFE/Sub level. Now, how audible a bass bloom or sub-80hz frequency boost you'll hear during regular viewing depends on your individual sensitivity. I'm sure that some people will be able to pick out differences in the sound, but DTS has a greater dynamic range anyway (at least to my ears, and even with my old receiver I'd listen to DTS tracks at a lower master volume setting) so it's going to be very difficult to gauge what you're missing or getting more of without another non-HK receiver to do A/B comparisons with.

I've been tussling with this same issue myself, as my 320 is just 15 days old. I just spent a good portion of the earlier evening trying to decide if I'd keep the 320 or ditch it for something else. My conclusion for now, and after much listening, is to keep it. Your reasons may vary, but for me there just isn't anything else that sounds as good for the price I paid--especially for 2 channel music. This is without any of the other features that I like about the HK: Logic7, separate settings for surround modes and sources, component video switching, etc. I've auditioned everything else $1200 and under and the only alternatives I'd consider all hover around the $1000-and-over mark--at least double what I'd paid for the 320. At any rate, I'll only be keeping this receiver for a year or two at most and move up to separates as my next big upgrade.

I hope you find a solution that will agree with you--I think I have (finally). If not, you should definitely exchange the receiver for something else and not suffer through buyer's remorse. Good luck!