Just buy the 3802??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Morrison, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Don Morrison

Don Morrison Agent

OK. I am having some difficulty in choosing a receiver. Originally, I had just wanted to wait for the 1803 to come out in Aug/Sept and get it. As it appears, it will have the specs of the 2802 and the power of the 1802, which seems to me to be very nice. Since I want to hold on to this receiver for a long time to come, at least 5 or 6 years anyway... should I just go for it and get the 3802? Does anyone know if 6ave still has the $699 deal if ordered by phone? Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.. I have the JBL NSP1 system (4 N24's, N-CENTER) and a JBL PB12.
    I am so confused... not to mention anxious to get a receiver! Just got to "sneak" it by the wife... [​IMG]

2. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I think the 3802 will keep you happy for quite a while depending on your type of course[​IMG] I am happy with the 3801 for about 1.5 years now and only now I added an external 2 channel amp to it for even better sound. I'll be keeping the 3801 until a major new surround format becomes widely available. Right now even DTS-ES and DD-EX is not that common on the new softwares hitting the market. So I plan on keeping the 3801 until regular DD and DTS become obsolete and until ES and EX become the software of choice for all new releases and I would think that wouldn't happen in the next couple years. So I am all set for quite a while now.
    Best of luck to you.

3. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

Same situation. I just received my NSP1 today and need a receiver. Really want to wait for the 1803 but I am impatient.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I agree with Aslam. For the low prices being paid for the Denon 3802 I would definately get it now. It is a very good receiver and you should easily get over five years of use from it. If you wanted to add an external amp later down the road then the 3802 can serve as a very nice pre/pro.

Just my .02 cents.

5. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

what about the 3803?

Also, when the 1803 comes out, will that be better than the 3802?

Sort of confused..!!

6. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

7. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

true

8. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Better? No. The 3803 deserves a cautious "maybe more desirable" rating prior to its release. Ask the many owners of the 3801 if they think the 3802 is better. The 3801 has proven its worth while the 3802 seems to be struggling a bit. Ask this same question a year from now, the answer has the possibility of being a little more definitive then it is today. I would apply this same logic to the lesser Denon's. If you are without a receiver now, I would suggest you not wait another day before purchasing. The marketeers would attempt to have us beleive that what we own today is only good and to get great, we must buy their latest offering. Enjoy some great music or HT tomorrow night and for years to come. Don't hesitate, don't procrastinate. Buy now.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you can wait until October, the 3803 will have better DSP processing, ADCs, DACs, and a more configurable crossover.

DJ

10. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

The only useful feature I foresee the 3803 as having is x-overs that go down to maybe 60-40 Hz. That would really be usefull. Beyond that there wont be much difference sonically speaking from the 3801 by using better DACs and DSP processing etc. They will still use 32 bit processing and 24/96KHz DACs. In fact the more improvements they do on the 3803 the more corners they will cut in order to keep the price constant. Thats what happend to the 3802 and thats what will happen to the 3803. The 3801 was the most reliable amongst the two. On the 3802 Denon cut corners by using plastic face plate, plastic knobs etc to name a few. I dont know what else they did but reliabilitywise the 3802 does seem to struggle.

So I'd say wait until the 3803 is out and then if you dont see much difference featurewise get the 3802 at a much cheaper price. If you think that the 3803 is that much better at that point you can spring for it. And if you have to get one now get the 3802. You wont be dissapointed.

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

12. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

13. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Don I say definitely go for the 3802 now. When the 3803 does come out which won't be for a couple more months you won't be able to get such a great price like you can do now with the 3802. The $699 price to me is a no brainer.

14. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Prices have been dropping across the board, so hopefully they will be able to hit their target cost without cutting corners. Time will tell.

15. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

yeah-
    buy it.
    good receiver.
    denon=rad

16. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

The 3802 is definitely out of my price range so hopefully the 1803 comes out soon. Any other suggestions on a comparable receiver for $350. My speakers are dying to be used.

17. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Talke to a denon csr yesterday and he told me that the 3803 was scheduled for Nov 02. He said to call back in Oct for more info. The only thing he mention the 3803 having is the official DD EX logo instead of 6.1 or 7.1 logo on the screen. Not a performance issue, but a vanity one at best.

18. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

I just talked to a Denon CSR and they are expecting the 1803 in September. He didn’t have any info on whether it was early or late September but he said expect them in stores by the beginning of October.

I am going to try and hold off till then unless something comparable in price/quality comes around before that.

19. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

Don, have you made a decision

20. Don Morrison

Don Morrison Agent

What an overwhelming response... Seems tha I have hit a vein of HTF members. I know that I want the 3802 now, and at $699, its the obvious choice. I talked to Chris at 6ave (ext 509) and he said that there we going to be getting a buch of them in in teh next week... Just got to convince the wife that it is the right time to buy!! (I am already in the doghouse for the speakers, cables, and wires.