Just built my first sono sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Well I just got it togeather last night Im useing a 16"by 46" sonotube (sealed) with a dayton 15"Dvc sub,& a 250 watt plate amp from parts express. Now ya got to forgive me I dont have any mesured output yet cause I still need to go get an spl meter,but all I can say Is I have never had bass like this in my home theater. When I first fired things up I was just useing some of my favoret music cd's & was impressed but it did sound kinda muddy at first, but I added some more dampining in the enclouser a there it was totaly changed the way it sounded. So now Im off to the movies the first disk I popped in was The Haunting DTS and I about messed myself,my wife about killed me ,& my two boys couldent figure out what the hell was going on, every damn thing in my house was shaking I had heard bass in this movie before but never like this it was just insane,even when I turned the sub down things still shook around I was in hevan and it was pretty funny the reaction on my wifes face every time something bassy hit (it was that the neibors are really gonna hate us now look)
    Anyway I played a few more disk's and still couldent beleve the sheer depth that this thing play at Im going to try to get an spl meter sometime this week and get some mesurements and fine tune my whole system a little better.
    Also Id like to say thanks to (Jack G & Dustin B) and anyone elese who may have helped when I was tryin to figure out what to do. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Way to go, Joe! Adding more stuffing lowers the Qtc by increasing the volume the woofers "sees", so it sounds like you got it to where you like it. With room gain, that should get below 20Hz easily.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Just out of curiosity, how did you get the 15" sub to run in the 16" dia tube? Does it have legs/feet that were mounted on the sides, or are you running the tube on its side?

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Jeff, it has leg's on the out side of it,I made a coller that fits the around the tube then there are five legs that run down and attach to a bace plate that sits on the floor.
    I myself was pretty surpized I got it to fit ok but it fits pretty good. I will be posting some pics soon hopefully, right now I dont have a camra to do so with but my buddy dose and he told me I could use it I just got to go and get it from him.[​IMG]