What's new

Just built a cpu and I need help! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
When I power up the cpu, I get the message "Boot Disk Error. Please install system disk"... what does that mean? I have an OEM version of MCE 2005, do I need a FULL retail version in order for it to be recognized?

For what it's worth, the mobo CD is recognized, but it doesn't help me to install an OS.

Does anyone have an idea how I can install an OS when I don't have the full retail version?

Thanks in advance!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
If you have a working Windows system available, download IsoBuster and check your CD whether it is a bootable one. That should give you more info about that CD.

As for you mobo, do you have a Linux CD/DVD handy? If your system boots from that, it most likely is your MCE that doesn't work.

-Christian

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The internet is just a bunch of smarty pants.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I hope all goes well with your system.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
you are probably trying to boot from the hard drive and not the CD rom Drive, as the hard drive is blank right now, there is nothing to boot to. make sure you change your boot order in the bios to start with the cd drive.

PS. Sorry, I stopped in to ask how you built your own CPU. That's amazing!!!

I was going to post that also :)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I actually setup the BIOS to boot from the CD... no dice. I tried different cables, different configurations of master / slave, etc. I also used another DVD drive from an old computer and I also tried a hard drive with an OS on it... no luck there either.

I was on the phone with tech support from mwave.com this afternoon for over an hour and he couldn't come up with anything either.... so Im going to send the mobo bundle back to mwave.

I really don't see how it could be a mobo issue, but Im keeping my fingers crossed that it is. I still am wondering if I need to buy a FULL version of XP. I have an OEM version of Media Center and I've been told that it should work; but it isn't.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I would not think it would matter thats it's oem. Like posted earlier, try and find a boot dis image that you can burn to cd (if you are able on your current computer) and try booting off that. If that works then it is your oem CD, if you get the same error, then I think it is your MB.

Good luck

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a floppy drive installed? If so try an old Win98 boot disc (you can down load them) and see if you can read the file directory on the CD drive in DOS. It could be a bad cable between the CD drive and the motherboard as if the BIOS doesn't see the CD drive it'll move onto the next boot device which seems to be the hard drive which obviously doens't have windows installed yet hence the error message. I assume the drive has power as you've obviously been able to open/close the drive bay but its worth rechecking as well. As for Master Slave is the CD drive the only device on that ribbon cable or is it shared with the hard drive? If its shared make sure its set to Slave and the Hard drive is set to Master...though ideally they should be on seperate cables (or the drive should be SATA)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the all advice guys. I tried all the things that were suggested and I've exhausted my options.

I sent the mobo kit back to mwave this morning. I can't even imagine if they find nothing wrong with the mobo kit and send it back to me; Im literally stumped by this problem. Everything SEEMS to point to a bad DVD drive or hard drive or ribbon. But I swapped out all of those parts numerous times with components from my current computer and the results were always the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks