What's new

Just bought Yamaha RX-V450, how did I do? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
So a local electronics store had a customer appreciation sale that quoted "boxing day deals on electronics".

We were in the market for a new reciever to replace our kenwood VR-407.

We saw the Yamaha RX-V450 (aka HTR5740), for $404 CAD. Doing a quick search on local sites its about $50 cheaper.

It would probably be cheaper purchased online, especially with the high canadian dollar, but bringing it over the border would be a hassle.

Anybody have any experience with the lower end Yamaha receivers, especially for 2ch audio, how is the audio quality? I noticed it does DTS 96/24 which seems interesting.

Thanks

Reggie_F

Agent
Nick,

I also got the invite from a&b but didn't go. Was the RX-V550 on sale?

Futureshop.ca has got the HTR5740B on clearance for $329.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Unfortunately its Out of Stock at FutureShop.ca :frowning:

the 550 was on for ~$499 IIRC.

Wow, after testing it out, its signficantly better than my old entry-level kenwood. Movies sound much more solid, more dyanamic, channel seperation is much better, audio is clearer.

Loads of features, component switching, 6.1, DTS 96/24.

My dad and I are fairly satisfied with the purchase thus far. A clear upgrade from our Kenwood. Sounds like it may be a keeper!

I own that particular model, and I think its great. Originally, it was powering a pair of Boston CR-75 bookshelves matched with a velodyne sub. I have since upgraded to Boston VR1 towers and the same sub. The salesman used the 450 to demo the VR1's (since that's what I have) and it performed wonderfully. He was actually surprised at how accurately and loud the receiver drove the speakers without distortion. He expected less before we actually tried it. I am mainly a music listener, so for a few movies, its fine for me. In that price range, its wonderful. I do have my eyes set on an Elite 52tx or Marantz SR7400 when its time to upgrade. I think you did fine. The unit has good amps for the money. What kind of speakers are you running?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im running Paradigm mains and JBL center/surrounds (yeah not timbre matched unfortunately).

I noticed how much extra oomph the low end had... i really like the adjustable crossover and the 5band EQ for the center channel (didnt know about that feature until i read the manual!)

Too bad finals are coming up soon, not much time to play with it :p)

Reggie_F

Agent
Oops, I didn't see that Futureshaop was sold out.
Too bad the 5740 doesn't have s-video switching or else I would have picked one up when then still had them.

Finals, eh? I could help you "break-them-in" until you are done with finals..:D

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's amazing how much receiver you can get for the money compared to even a few years ago. They are solid little units. Enjoy your new toy.

DJ

Yeah, with Paradigm mains (titans?) you'll notice a great improvement. I love the variety it offers as far as sound fields and the Neo 6 is great. Keep me posted as you get more used to it.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Older paradigm phantoms mains...

man music sounds so much nicer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks