What's new

Just Bought Toshiba 50H81 - Any Tweaking Tips? (1 Viewer)

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey All,

This is my first big screen projection set and I was wondering if any other owners had any advice for tweaking the set when it arrives on Friday?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

P.S Will be pairing this up with a Panny rp91 very soon, in case you were wondering.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Good move! About 1.5 months ago I picked up a 57HX81. Here is what I recommend:
TURN DOWN THE CONTRAST.
Use Avia.
Suffer (ok, so it won't exactly be suffering) with the picture for at least 100 hours. Some people say not to touch the 9 point focus but the convergence will drift (a lot) and it got pretty distracting so I fixed with with the 9 point.
After about 50 hours (or sooner if you are comfortable) start playing with the 56 point convergence (read up on it). You will still have quite a bit of drift but at least you are getting practice.
One thing you can do right off the bat (if you have the guts) is disable SVM at the power supply board. Despite what some people say, on a few of the new TVs SVM is not disabled in Movie mode.
After a good break in period (at least 100 hours) go for:
Electrical focus
Mechanical focus
Centering
Overscan reduction
Don't bother hiring anyone for calibration until the set is good and worked in. While some of the work may help I think it would be better to wait until things have settled down.
They are fun TVs and have plenty of tweaks to make your friends and loved ones shake their heads in pity as you string up thread to converge and center the image :D
Neil

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, I'm confused when you say that a few of the new Tv's don't disable SVM in movie mode. I'm assuming your referring to TV's in general. I was under the impression that all 57hx81's disables SVM in movie mode.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks