Just bought Toshiba 32HFX72

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vitali, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Vitali

Vitali Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I've been a member of these great boards for a while now, but this is my first post here. Maybe it is because I was finally able to afford somewhat high-end television set and a prograssive scan DVD player. I'm pretty much a complete n00b when it comes to Home Theater setups and electronics in general.
    I bought my new set on Friday(to replace my aging 21" JVS) and it will be delivered in a few days. I was basically choosing between 32HFX72 and Sony KV-32HS500, with Sony one being more expensive and pretty much leaving me broke if I was to buy it. The second I saw an open-boxed Toshiba, selling for $300 less than a new set, I went for it. On top of that picture did not look too different too me when compared to Sony, maybe except Toshiba's set having brighter colors.
    Anyways, here's what I have(32HFX72) and here's what I'm going to look at for at least 3-4 next years when watching TV.
    I could not find much information on this TV on the Net, so I was hoping that I could get some genral guidelines on how to get best possible picture out of my setup.
    I have mentioned above DVD player(Toshiba SD-4800) and a digital cable from Videotron(ISP/TV services provider here in Canada). They(Videotron) did give me a digital receiver(am I using the right term here..?) to accept digital signal, but I never really cared for it with my former analog TV.
    If someone needs more information on my electronics, please feel free to ask. I'll try to provide as much information as needed.
    Before I finally shut up, I would like to mention that you're dealing with a complete newbie when it comes to Electronics. I hardly know the difference between S-Video and regular AV hookups. So, please be patient and forgiving..:)

Thank you.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Vitali, congradulations on your purchase, many people warn against getting open box or display model tv's, but since it is a ditect view and a new model hopefully it hasent been abused.

Second what you need to get now are component video cables for your dvd player, and a copy of Avia. if you do a search at www.absound.ca you will find it. this disc will help you adjust your tv settings to give you a much better picture. i paid 80 canadian for mine and it was worth every penny, plus absound delivers really fast.

when you use avia to calibrate your set you will probably not like the picture at first, give it some time though, unfortunately many of us are sued to seeing crap on our tv's and the real deal dosent look as good, but once you get used to it the extra detail will blow you away.

3. Vitali

Vitali Auditioning

Thanks for replying John.
    I did hear asbout open boxed models being abused and such, but I know that the TV I bought was only used for three days after which it was returned to the store. A firend of mine works at Futureshop(the stroe where I bought my Toshiba), and he called me right after the TV was back in store. I was told that the original buyer simply opted for a larger 36" screen.
    So, I hope I'm safe with my purchase.

P.S. Good to have friends sometimes.. :)

4. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Good luck [​IMG]

and get Avia you wont regret it [​IMG]