What's new

Just bought the Yamaha YHT-397 - What do I need to know for setup? (1 Viewer)

Brent Lumkin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I just bought the Yamaha YHT-397 on Amazon for $248 here... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PU2X76 We live in an apartment and it would go in the living room, shown below. On the left is the entrance door, and we have the TV on that wall with our couch on the opposite wall. The couch is out from the wall around two feet or so (had problems with 3D glasses and wireless Wii stuff with it back against the wall).
58e29b01_1jMxqPG.jpeg
The TV we have is a 50'' Panasonic 3DTV that we got in 2011, so while not humungous it is a fairly decent size. We play all of our Blu-rays on the PS3. I have never had a proper sound system of any sort, and I don't want anything too fancy since I wont be able to totally blast the system where we live, but I do want to finally have the surround sound experience at home. We will likely move into a house in a couple of years if not sooner and at that point I will get a proper, more professional and better sounding quality system. For now I just needed something simple. Once it arrives, where do I start on setting it up properly and the such? Here is a picture of our TV, ignore our cat Clancy but it is the only picture of our TV I can get my hands on at the moment - he was enjoying a Japanese 3D movie featuring cats. How would I place what I need in that area? It certainly can't go right below the TV or in front with it like that, unless the center speaker in this system is short enough to go right in front of the TV on the stand...
22361cd8_3Gcil3x.jpeg
I also bought the recommended speaker wire and an extra HDMI cable with the system... http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH16100SN-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire/dp/B0029HHIDY/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B0019EHU8G/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z I have a PS3, Wii U, and of course my cable box from Charter that I would like to hook into the system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can mount your center speaker to the top of the TV with a "speaker shelf" or a "center speaker mount". There are hundreds of both on Amazon.

Brent Lumkin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll check those out! Anyone else got any tips or advice? What is the best way to "hide" the wire running from the TV and system to the two back speakers?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Brent Lumkin said:
Thanks, I'll check those out! Anyone else got any tips or advice? What is the best way to "hide" the wire running from the TV and system to the two back speakers?
Put 'em under an area rug:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks