Just bought the TV/DVD/Receiver/etc - need help with cables and connecting

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by balzac, Sep 25, 2005.

1. balzac

balzac Agent

What I bought:
    Samsung 5667 DLP 56" tv with HDMI input/component/S vid/etc
    Samsung 950 DVD upconversion with HDMI/DVI/S vid outputs
    Harman Kardon 630 Receiver
    Aperion Audio 533PT (floor standing powered towers)
    Onkyo 530 7.1 complete HTIB for surrounds/sub

Ok, so I bought the Harman Kardon receiver and felt an urgency to have speakers and promptly ordered the Onkyo 530 HTIB system, which got great reviews. Delivered, the price was only $220, so it won't be money wasted, since I'll just create a sound system in my bedroom in the future. However, now I could only afford the two Aperion front towers, so I needed the rest of the package CHEAP.

So now that I have all of these components, what WIRES do I need to hook everything up? The components should begin arriving within a week, so I want to order the wires now so they arrive in time to hook it up!

I currently have two sets of Monster Cable RCA's, one Monster optical cord, the DVD is hooked into the tv via the HDMI cord and that's about it. What do I need to connect up the receiver and what are your recommendations for connecting it? I understand that the HK 630 has an on screen setup, so what should I use to connect that? What is your suggestion for connecting the DVD player to both the tv and the receiver? I'm guessing that the HDMI cord directly to the tv and a digital optical to the receiver, right? Is the one digital optical wire all I need for the complete 7.1/5.1 system or do I need more wires? I just need to make sure I have everything, since I'd hate to have to buy more stuff after it arrives.

Thanks for your help!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Let's start with some basics:

Rack Layout:

Put the receiver on the lowest possible shelf. Put the CATV box, SAT receiver above that. On the higher shelves/eye level is where to put the box's you touch (DVD player, Game system).

This gives you an ergonomic layout that puts things you touch higher up and lets all those heavy speaker wires flow down/away from the interconnects.

Signals:

Run video straight to the TV (you have already done this with the HDMI cable).

Run audio to the receiver with the optical cord.

... thats about it.

Dont bother trying to run video through the receiver. It's just extra cableing, more things to pull loose and you dont have enough sources to make it worth while.

I do strongly suggest you try and get a matching center speaker as your next purchase. If you are using a external sub, the "powered towers" are kind of a waste. Having 3 subwoofers in your system sounds like it gives you bragging rights - but it does not. 3 sources of bass can create a lot of bad interactions. A single bass source near a long, un-broken wall is usually superior.

Note: I speak from experience. I have 2 DefTech 2000 powered towers that have the woofers turned off in favor of a single SVS subwoofer.

Speaker Wires:

Some good 12 ga wire is all you need. You can get a spool of "Sound King" wire from www.partsexpress.com for a good price.

Hope this helps.

3. balzac

balzac Agent

Thanks for the help! I guess my major question is, will the optical cord provide the 5.1 or 7.1 surround via that one cord? I'm used to the 5.1 Sony my parents bought about 5 years ago which needed like 6 RCAs to connect up. Will this one cord do it all?

Additionally, I do know that the towers with subs were overkill, but the price with wires/banana clips and maintenance kit was $838 shipped for the pair! Additionally, I prefer their towers and didn't want to get into the 4 ohm towers they sell. The Onkyo system I bought was an "el cheapo" everything and then about 24 hours later I got that Aperion deal, so I was stuck with both!

My next purchase is DEFINITELY the Aperion center channel, but I don't think I'll be getting their surrounds. I may just use the Onkyo's until I get a raise, my retro or a new job!

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    The optical cable transmits ALL the sound..including surround.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

but not dv-da, nor sacd. High resolution audio is analog only... For best results, use the analog outputs for music discs, and the digital connection for movies...

6. balzac

balzac Agent

Is there any gain getting 10 guage or lower speaker wire over the 12g?

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

8. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer

And none of these are required with his set up (HTIB).

9. balzac

balzac Agent

The set up also includes the Aperions and the Samsung 950, which I bought for SACD capability!

10. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Good info to know...after the fact.... [​IMG]