Just bought the panny f85, help please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Scott, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

I just bought the Panasonic f85 5 disc changer, and while i was there, i bought the component video cable and 3 sets of rca jacks to listen to dvd audio.

and i picked up a dvd audio dicc

can someone help me set this thing up to the best of its capability.

thanks

p.s. i didnt buy the monster cables, i just bought the cheaper GE brand ones. How much better would the monster cables sound?

2. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i was told to enjoy dvd-audio discs, you have to use rca/analog connections?

but how come when i listen to the music, it come through dd 5.1?

and i can disconnect the analog connections and the music still plays?

the manual with this thing sucks.

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Jeremy,

Depending upon the kind of receiver you have (assuming you successfully connected the analog cables to it), you will need to switch the receiver from Dolby Digital to analog mode (sometimes this is a button on the receiver or remote labeled "DVD 6-channel" or something along those lines.) Until you switch the receiver to analog mode, you cannot hear the multi-channel DVD-A audio. When you are in analog mode, go to the player's setup mode and adjust the speaker settings for proper DVD-A playback - the player sends a test tone to each speaker to help with the setup. I hope this helps.

Gary

4. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

ok, i do have analog connections connected and i have a multi channel botton on my remote.

i went into the setup menu on my dvd player and found the test tone.

but the sound still doesnt sound that good.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

6. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. I have the Panny CP-72 predecessor to yours, and it sounds great.
    I am using a pre/pro not a receiver. But depending on the receiver, it should be a similar setup.

I have 5 satellite speakers (small) and a subwoofer.

I have all the speakers in the DVD player menu set to LARGE because I am using the bass management in the pre/pro. Normally, if the player was doing the bass management, they would be set SMALL. But the crossover in the player is at 100 Hz, and I want 80 Hz which is available in my pre/pro.

Also, have the sub ON but not sure it makes much difference since the pre/pro sends all the bass to my sub anyway. But someone mentioned if I don't do that, I will lose some LFE output from the player. Since all the speakers are set large, I am not why that should be the case.

In any event, if you have a different speaker configuration you will have to modify accordingly, also based on what your receiver can handle. I am using only the 6 channel analog outputs and it is great for DVD-Audio or 2 channel stereo. It is not necessary to use the additional 2 channel analog outputs from the panny. Good luck!

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

8. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Understood, Lance. But you make it sound like the Panasonic has an LFE control you can turn off and on and that is not the case. But leaving the sub ON in the setup menu appears to be the ticket.

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Dale: Er, the "subwoofer channel" and the "LFE channel" are the same thing. I use them interchangeably, but maybe I shouldn't to avoid confusion. But anyway, on certain players, when you pick the "no" choice on the subwoofer/speaker menu, it shuts off the subwoofer output......but does not send that bass to the front mains as you would expect (a very stupid thing to do!). I have no earthly idea why a manufacturer would do such a thing.

LJ