What's new

Just bought the Onkyo TX-SR702, not sure if I should take it back (1 Viewer)

Allen_K

Auditioning
I'm a little new to HT being a recent University Grad. After researching for a while I bought the Onkyo TX-SR702, only I'm not too sure whether or not I will keep it. I enjoy the sound quality; well from what I can tell from the in store demo and having them connected to two old Wharfedale speakers.

My dilemma is that I am looking to buy the Studio 60’s and, depending on what I have left over, possibly the center as well. I just want to make sure that the 702 will be capable of powering these speakers, as from what I read the receiver would be hard pressed for the Studio 100’s.

Some of the important features required for my setup would be:
- Component video conversion (the more the better)
- Zone 2 audio

I plan on using the receiver 90% of the time for music, the rest for HT.

Would I be better off to stick with the Onkyo, or do one of the following:
1. Buy the Pioneer 1014 and spend the difference in price on more speakers
2. Buy the Denon 3805

My tastes are simple… I like the best!

Christian M

Agent
I've got the 801 and although it's older than your 702 it's pretty much the same thing, plus or minus a couple of things. I've got some polk rti100's hooked up to them and even tried by buddy's rti150's... The thing can play pretty loud and clear. See if the paradigm dealer will let you 'audition' the 60's at home, that way you'll know for sure.

Good choice of speakers btw - those are on the upgrade list :D

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Depending on wether you run your speakers "Large" or "Small" . . . Running them "Small" with the addition of a powered subwoofer takes a major chunk out of your power requirements. By taking the power hungry low bass off the receiver lets you run speakers that you could not otherwise run.

I think with your music preference sound quality comes first. Although the 1014 (I have one) is a giant killer the Onkyo or big Denon might well sound better for music. i love my 1014 but being musical is not a trait that stands out in my mind anyway. I think it does a spectacular job on HT but only a good job on stereo music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks