What's new

Just bought the HK AVR230 - Questions... (1 Viewer)

Fred Block

Auditioning
Ok, I took the plunge and stepped out of my Sony STR DE925 and into the HK AVR230. Is there any tips that anyone here may have to make sure I get the most out of it?

I am not a "pro" at this but I can already tell that this receiver sounds MUCH better with NO tuning than my sony did! I am impressed.

The only thing I lost was my "B" speakers. I have a set that are outdoor so we can listen from the deck and in the hot tub. Can anyone recommend a good speaker selector???

I got it at Circuit City and have 30 days to play with it. I almost got the 330 but didn't think I needed to go to 7.1. If it had "B" speakers I probably would have but it doesn't as far as I can tell.

The sales rep tried his best to push me to an Onkyo (SP?) but they were all over my price range.

I also picked up the new Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc DVD Changer. So far it works great. Now I have to load it up and catalog everything. Should be fun and time consuming. :)

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out. Any tips are appreciated.

Fred

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I would just keep the Sony and your old cd/dvd player for Hot Tub duty. Much better than having a speaker selecter. I take it the 230 doesn't have 2nd system capabilities (preout & 2nd remote). The 5XX series has this, and I think the 3XX series do too. It might be woth upgrading to the 330 if it has that capability, if you want access to the 400 disks.

JohnS

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I lost was my "B" speakers. I have a set that are outdoor so we can listen from the deck and in the hot tub. Can anyone recommend a good speaker selector???
The 330 has this ability. I spoke with customer support about the differences between the 230 and 330. Obviously the 330 has the extra amp, but you can also listen to a 7.1 movie and 2 channel stereo in a separate room. Just FYI

Fred Block

Auditioning
Now the big question is, do I just go to Radio Shack and get a $19.99 3 way speaker switch to go from the main speakers to the outside ones or try to justify the increased cost of going from the 230 to the 330.....

That's not too tough of a call to make for me but am I making a mistake? Can these things hurt my amp? They are rated at 50 watts per channel. Should do the trick. Aside from that, I really like the 230 and the price.

By the way, I got the 230 over the Sony str-de995. From what I have read in these very forums, I didn't make a mistake but the sound also convinces me. :)

Fred

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I would just keep the Sony and your old cd/dvd player for Hot Tub duty. Much better than having a speaker selecter.
Fred, I'd go the route suggested above as it is less demanding on a receiver be it 230 or 330 even if the 330 can drive two sets of speakers.

Joe.P

Auditioning
Fred, I'm also looking to make a similar change after Christmas. I have the DE-875 now and am ready to go from "virtual 6.1":frowning: to a real 6 channel system and also incorporate a 2nd music zone. Please post details about what configuration you end up with.
Thanks.

Fred Block

Auditioning
I actually have the 230 now not the 325 Chuck. I can't justify the extra cost for the 330 at the moment so I am going the speaker switch route. I got the 230 for $399 on a price match at Circuit City and that is a pretty good price for this unit.

Joe, if you want multi room you may want to go with the 330 as that is not an option with the 230.

Watched the Hulk last night. Movie was "eh" but the sound was KILLER! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks